openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

As you’re preparing to install openSUSE 12.3, take a minute and peruse the release notes for any last-minute information and tips.

Have a lot of fun!

Jim

Release notes still recommend “nomodeset” syntax for resolving graphical problems with legacy hardware.

Using alternative syntax for same function i.e. “modeset=0” will be much more reliable. nomodeset will probably no longer work with new linux kernel.

Use modeset=0 instead

I suggest corrected Release Notes issued immediately and the current one pulled!

On 2013-03-21 11:16, smudgy wrote:
> I suggest corrected Release Notes issued immediately and the current
> one pulled!

→ bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Update

May be more complicated than I thought.

First reboot with modeset=0 worked fine. But subsequent reboots no X session as if KMS was on. There may be some flag blocking KMS and opensource radeon drivers are rapidly moving to drop nomodeset support.

I suspect an issue with the new radeon driver so that users who were previously using nomodeset should instead be directed to information that will enable them to upgrade/install 12.3 with an older version of the open-source radeon driver. Future versions of the driver will in fact have KMS only so that users of older radeon cards including mobility chips in laptops will need to configure kernels etc before installing upgrades.

[Phoronix] Radeon Kernel Driver Deprecates UMS Mode-Setting](Radeon Kernel Driver Deprecates UMS Mode-Setting - Phoronix)

With the release of xf86-video-ati 7.0.0 in November, the X.Org driver for Radeon GPUs now only handles kernel mode-setting. While for a couple years most desktop Linux distributions have been using the KMS graphics drivers, maintaining user-space mode-setting after the introduction of Radeon KMS support was mostly done for continuing to properly support the GPUs in the older enterprise Linux distributions running on older kernel releases. Fortunately, modern enterprise Linux distributions are in a KMS-enabled world.

(…Not everyone is running enterprise-level hardware whatever that might be …)

I would propose all this information be referenced in Release Notes as it is not trivial and unless Linux proposes just to pay lip service to users who don’t particularly want to put laptops with 1GHZ CPU/1Gb of Ram etc in the trash when Linux is being advertised as able to run on legacy hardware with half the memory or less etc.

Referenced would mean links to the tutorial info on installing/rolling back the xorg radeon driver as well as kernel config/compilation for the issue. It is going to be a widespread issue I imagine as there are lots of users recycling pc’s and laptops with linux.

On 2013-04-12 15:36, smudgy wrote:
> I would propose all this information be referenced in Release Notes as
> it is not trivial

→ bugzilla.

You can not propose anything in the forums, we are just users.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Online Tips to Select Wedding Saree
Parisworld Women sarees](http://www.parisworld.in)is really an elegant outfit that improves your beauty. There are no other clothes on the planet which can improve anyone’s look in a way that saree can offer. PARISWORLD Wedding Saree has transformed time to time from old fashions to latest fashions. For getting extremely modern look among crowd nowadays women gives interest in designer Sarees.
The effective trick to choose a **PARISWORLD **designer Sarees would be to choose one which fits you and it is appropriate according to the occasion. During the time of shopping, you should pick right Wedding sarees to obtain the right price of the cash spent.
Before shopping a saree, decide about a couple of things in your mind, first may be the occasion you have to wear the saree and other is choose the most recent trend. If you’re going to wear saree for wedding ceremony you will need heavy and rich work saree.
Heavy embroidered sarees may also be worn in parties along with other gathering. Should you prefer a daily put on designer saree, you’ll be able to select from a collection of sarees especially designed for casual put on.
Understanding about most recent trend in saree can also be important for the greatest deal. Sarees made up Under Brnad of parisworld will end up simple for you knowing by what is within style to ensure that you incorrectly don’t pick something that’s from trend. Aside from saree, women like to put on designer salwar kameez that is great substitute to saree. However, compared to it, saree adds more sophistication to personality and improves a person’s look.
After searching the selection of saree, if you don’t acquire one, you’ll be able to also choose designer Indian suits. Indian salwar suit is really a suitable outfit to put on in wedding, parties as well as in other occasion.