OpenSUSE 12.3 - KVM crashing

Should be titled more appropriately, virt manager is crashing.

S | Name                           | Summary                                                      | Type      
--+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+-----------
i | libvirt                        | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | package   
  | libvirt                        | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | srcpackage
  | libvirt-cim                    | CMPI-based CIM provider implementing DMTF SVPC model         | package   
i | libvirt-client                 | Client side library and utilities of the libvirt library     | package   
  | libvirt-client-32bit           | Client side library and utilities of the libvirt library     | package   
  | libvirt-devel                  | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | package   
  | libvirt-devel-32bit            | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | package   
  | libvirt-doc                    | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | package   
  | libvirt-glib-1_0-0             | GLib and GObject mapping of libvirt                          | package   
  | libvirt-glib-devel             | GLib and GObject mapping of libvirt - Development files      | package   
  | libvirt-lock-sanlock           | Sanlock lock manager plugin for QEMU driver                  | package   
i | libvirt-python                 | A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabiliti-> | package   
  | typelib-1_0-LibvirtGConfig-1_0 | GLib and GObject mapping of libvirt - gi-bindings            | package   
  | typelib-1_0-LibvirtGLib-1_0    | GLib and GObject mapping of libvirt - gi-bindings            | package   
  | typelib-1_0-LibvirtGObject-1_0 | GLib and GObject mapping of libvirt - gi-bindings            | package 

S | Name                | Summary                                    | Type   
--+---------------------+--------------------------------------------+--------
  | ikvm                | A JVM Based on the Mono Runtime            | package
i | kvm                 | Kernel-based Virtual Machine               | package
  | opensuse-kvm_de-pdf | openSUSE manual: KVM Guide (PDF, English)  | package
  | opensuse-kvm_en-pdf | openSUSE manual: KVM Guide (PDF, English)  | package
  | opensuse-kvm_ja-pdf | openSUSE manual: KVM Guide (PDF, Japanese) | package
  | opensuse-kvm_ru-pdf | openSUSE manual: KVM Guide (PDF, Russian)  | package

The nessecary packages are installed on the OpenSUSE 12.3 for KVm virtualization.

When i go to try and setup a virtual machine i do the following steps:

• connect to localohst QEMU
  • select virt-install from little drop down top left
  • browse for ISO image
  • select file system directory and browse

Then from there the application freezes, eventually it loads the dolphin browser i click my ISO. But im back at the virtual machine manager and im no longer conencted to the QEMU instance. Not sure if this is a bug or something specfic to my machine.

I have had KVM installed since 12.2 but not really used it, mainly been using virtual box tbh.

Anybody else had any experiences like this? If you require any other information then ill supply it no bother. Any help would be greatly appriecated.

Thanks
William

I can confirm that this problem doesn’t seem just to be localised on my machine.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virt-manager/+bug/551432

Looks as though people are experiencing this problem on Ubuntu aswell, the solution on Ubuntu was to start virt-manager by executing this command.

virt-manager --debug switch

This doesn’t work for me though. If I manually enter the ISO IMAGE location then it works fine and i can create the machine no bother. Its just the browsing the file system that locks it up.

Thanks
William

I have not experienced what is described and the bug you reference was started very long ago with almost no activity (the entry before yours was over a year ago).

First,
You should know that there are two different VM creation utilities and they are subtlely different.

vm install - invoked generally from vm manager, has a nice chrome appearance (lots of blue borders and other fancy appearance)
virt-install - invoked primarily from the Application Launch menu and from YAST

If one causes you problems, try the other, you may see a diff.

Re the bug you referenced, I don’t know if is related to a personal discovery, but I found that volumes didn’t setup well except on the root partition (which is default) due to an interesting Linux File permissions anomaly where Group permissions is read before User (since I learned file permissions first on Windows I found that surprising and weird). In any case, whether an update fix came down or I finally jiggered the right combination, I was able to create Storage Volumes on my Home partition only within the last 6 months or so.

So, for starters I recommend <do not> use any other but the default Storage Volume unless you’re willing to spend more time looking into this.

If that doesn’t fix your issue, post back with more detail exactly how you’re invoking your VM creation utility and the exact steps, I’m sure it’s resolvable (I’m actively creating a variety of Guests without problems).

TSU

Frist of all thanks for the response, I think i have explained myself poorly, apologies for that. I am using the the virt install which can be launched through the VMM by clicking the little downward pointing arrow then selecting virt-install not the VM-Install. Im starting the VMM by slecting it in the KDE start menu, and entering my root credentials when it launches.

The browse local button crashes the VMM every time, no matter whether its slecting a volume or selecting an ISO. You did mention premissions so ill try launching VMM as root from konsole to see if that sorts the problem.

Re the bug you referenced, I don’t know if is related to a personal discovery, but I found that volumes didn’t setup well except on the root partition (which is default) due to an interesting Linux File permissions anomaly where Group permissions is read before User (since I learned file permissions first on Windows I found that surprising and weird). In any case, whether an update fix came down or I finally jiggered the right combination, I was able to create Storage Volumes on my Home partition only within the last 6 months or so.

I did managed to get a workaround by creating a volume before trying to create the virtual machine, and then specifying the path to volume and ISO manually. Rather than the browse local which just locks up the application.

Thanks
William

The “browse local” shouldn’t crash the app.
Maybe <immediately> after a crash happens, see if something useful is reported by running this in a root console

tail /var/log/messages

Out of curiosity, when you manually specify a path to the disk file without using this “browse storage volumes” tool, are you pointing to a location in the default or the custom storage pool you created?

As always have you updated your system (which would install latest packages for everything)

zypper up

And lastly, where is your custom storage pool, is it on internal drives or removable drives? Anything that’s not mounted in fstab (eg USB drives) will mount differently under the hood.

TSU

Sorry for very (very) late reply not been using KVM and had totally forgot about this so thought would post up the error that I was seeing in /var/log/messages when i got it the other day.

2013-09-20T16:35:30.339305+01:00 200415 sudo:  william : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/william ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/virt-manager
2013-09-20T16:35:49.076896+01:00 200415 polkitd[1133]: Operator of unix-session:1 successfully authenticated as unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action org.libvirt.unix.manage for unix-process:24707:11700290 [python /usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py] (owned by unix-user:william)
2013-09-20T16:35:49.626413+01:00 200415 libvirtd[1158]: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virConnectNumOfInterfaces
2013-09-20T16:36:28.987599+01:00 200415 sudo:  william : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/william ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tail /var/log/messages
2013-09-20T16:36:32.102018+01:00 200415 libvirtd[1158]: No response from client 0x1093fa0 after 5 keepalive messages in 30 seconds
2013-09-20T16:37:01.747693+01:00 200415 sudo:  william : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/william ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tail /var/log/messages

And its totally up to date 12.3 machine.

Thanks
William

The client (vm manager) is having authtentication and/or connection problems with the Server (main app).
I’ve seen this as normal only if vm manager is left opern for a <very> long time, perhaps so that the machine may go into suspend (sleep).

If you’re seeing this quickly and often, then it’s not normal.
First, which version libvirt are you running?
On my machine,

zypper info libvirt

Information for package libvirt:
--------------------------------
Repository: @System
Name: libvirt
Version: 1.0.2-1.6.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 4.0 MiB
Summary: A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabilities of Linux

You can also do a force re-install

zypper in -f libvirt libvirt-client libvirt-python

TSU

Exact same version

Information for package libvirt:
--------------------------------
Repository: openSUSE-12.3-Update
Version: 1.0.2-1.6.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 4.0 MiB
Summary: A C toolkit to interact with the virtualization capabilities of Linux

Tried a force install and no changes, im going to try this on a fresh openSUSE install when i get the chance.

I had the exact same issue for a while and worked around it by putting the path of the image into it instead of going through the resource pool.

The way I fixed it was unintended but it worked, I moved to a more recent kernel to play around with Docker and also upgraded things like libvirt,virt-manager etc. I pull most of my packages for virtualization out of the virtualization repo.

Name: virt-manager
Version: 0.9.5-137.1

Version: 1.1.2-309.1

Linux 3.10.10-5

yes this is a bug in the 12.3 on a fresh install you get the same problem. Ill try updating my repo and getting latest version of the libvirt see if that solves it like you said.

And yes you can just fire the path in to workaround this, just thought I would make you aware its not just an issue with me but fresh installs as well.

Thanks
William