openSuse 12.3 install on ML330 G3 server fails...

I’m trying to install OpenSUSE 12.3 on an ML330 G3 server but the server keeps locking up in the “starting udev…” portion of the build. The server will lock up and display an error light that indicates that the server has a CPU fault. I checked inside the server and the motherboard shows CPU failure lights. I‘ve had SLES 10.3 installed on this server without any problems. In fact, on the day I initially tried to install openSuse 12.3 on this machine it was still functional using SLES 10.3 so I know the server is working.

I am trying to figure out the nature of the problem where this is locking up and what I can do to resolve this issue. I’ve look at several dozen web sites and tried various boot options without any success.

After researching this issue and finding various solutions out on the internet I’ve tried boot options such as nomodeset, noapic, Safe Settings, apci=off, with the same results of locking up on ‘starting udev…” and no further messages.

After a suggestion I saw online I tried installing using the Gnome LiveCD and received some further details regarding the starting udev issue. It will show the following error just before it locks up. I don’t have the detailed message before me as I am away from my desk but can add details if required:

udevadm settle timeout of 30 seconds reached. The event queue contains
/sys/devices/pci…/ata1/host0/target…
/sys/devices/pci…/scsi_device/…

I’ve read where there may be an issue with hpsa vs. cciss drivers on these older servers but I am not sure if this is the issue or how to test it during the installation to verify it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

SERVER CONFIGURATION:
ML330 G3: Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz Processors, 4Gb Memory, ATI Rage XL video
Smart Array 641 RAID Controller with five 36 Gb drives configured RAID 5.

All firmware is up to the latest levels for this equipment.

I don’t know the Smart Array 641 RAID but form a quick search it looks like it may be a BIOS assist device rather then true hardware. There are known problems with BIOS assist (FAKE RAID) and the 12.3 installer. The work around is to install 12.2 then do a online update to 12.3

On 2013-10-30 18:16, dreyerpj wrote:
> I’m trying to install OpenSUSE 12.3 on an ML330 G3 server but the server
> keeps locking up in the “starting udev…” portion of the build.
> The server will lock up and display an error light that indicates that
> the server has a CPU fault. I checked inside the server and the
> motherboard shows CPU failure lights. I‘ve had SLES 10.3 installed on
> this server without any problems. In fact, on the day I initially
> tried to install openSuse 12.3 on this machine it was still functional
> using SLES 10.3 so I know the server is working.

I think you should find out if SLES still works. If it has been removed,
you could reinstall it - to prove that the hardware is OK.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Thanks, I tried installing 12.2 and received the same results. I have read some articles on ATI Rage XL video (aka Mach64) issues with OpenSuse but have not seen any definitive answer on that question. I am also wondering if the udevadm settle timeout messages truly point towards a storage issue since these items were in the queue waiting to be processed at the time of the failure or if it is some item ahead of these that is causing a problem. Anyway these are other items I am pursuing.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a copy of SLES any longer. I have run through all of the HP diagnostics programs which have not shown any issues with the hardware either CPU, memory, or other items. I am trying to obtain a copy of OpenSuse 10.x to see if that makes a difference.

let me see this straight, the MB show that there is a fault with the CPU,
you tried using other OS with the same result and you still think your hardware is OK?
well it might be ok but needs some TLC.

I have been playing with some old server for a month now trying to build a VM/File server based on OS12.3.
I did some mods to it and it seam to work fine for the first week or so after mods.
but when I tried to really setting it up, I would go through the setup and it would hung on reboot or around the same part of the setup every time. beep for a while and shut down.
I checked memory, fans everything. the problem was that it would hung and start beeping indicating CPU issue but I could not figure out the error code from BIOS as the server is used and I did not have the manual.
so after a wile trying everything I could think of (the funny part was I could boot from Live CD just fine)
I noticed that it was not the part of the install process that triggered the error, it was the time.
the error was happening after the server was up for more or less 40 min straight.’
so I hunt down the manual for MB and there it was, in black on white, I was getting a CPU overheating error.
simply speaking my shiny new low noise passive Heat Sinks were not up to snuff with my new shiny CPUs.

in your case it could be that the thermal paste on your CPU(s) is dried up and not working anymore thus your CPU is overheating by the time you get to certain point in the setup as the config operations could be CPU intensive at times.

try cleaning up the server, take out the CPU(s), clean it up with some alcohol and replace the thermal compound on the heat sink.

just a thought…

good luck

Thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look at it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I redid the thermal compound as you suggested. I figured it couldn’t hurt. No change, the same error kept occurring.

However, early this morning I found my problem. In looking at other distros forums I ran into others who were having the exact same problem I was on the exact same model with the Processor errors (Ubutntu Server forums)](http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356666). I actually had to downgrade the BIOS firmware to 4.08 as suggested in their forum. Everything is working just fine now.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

On 2013-11-02 14:26, dreyerpj wrote:

> However, early this morning I found my problem. In looking at other
> distros forums I ran into others who were having the exact same problem
> I was on the exact same model with the Processor errors ‘(Ubutntu Server
> forums)’ (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356666). I actually
> had to downgrade the BIOS firmware to 4.08 as suggested in their forum.
> Everything is working just fine now.

Wow.

So it is a Bios bug.

Could the SLES version you had installed previously been patched to
bypass that bug? If it was supplied by the manufacturer…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

WOW is right. if it happen to me I probably would still be searching for solution.
I guess I got lucky that my issue really was wrong heat sink for the CPU.

BTW : I got my self a pair of Cooling Master - T4 HS last week, and this are Beautiful :slight_smile:
whisper quiet and my hexacore opterons never were cooler.