opensuse 12.2 "you need to load kernel first" after fresh installation

Dear all,

I recently downloaded the KDE live CD x64 from the opensuse web. I checked that the MD5 sum is correct and wrote this image onto the USB. The USB image loaded without problems and installed the new system on my hard drive. I formatted the previous partition with ext4 maintaining my home which is located in another partition. I had previously OpenSuse 12.1 x64 installed in my system working without problems.

After booting the hard drive for first time after installation I get next the message when the computer tries to load the initrd image

“You need to load the kernel first”

I see a few lines above the command that tries to load the kernel, but it seems that it cannot be loaded.

I also tried to install de KDE DVD x64 but the same problem appears.

This is a copy of the entry in the GRUB2 configuration file

menuentry ‘openSUSE 12.2’ --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option ‘gnulinux-simple-3f9d55f8-187b-426b-b6b5-4ec6566f24c6’ {
load_video
set gfxpayload=keep
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root=‘hd0,msdos7’
if x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos7 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos7 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos7 --hint=‘hd0,msdos7’ 3f9d55f8-187b-426b-b6b5-4ec6566f24c6
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 3f9d55f8-187b-426b-b6b5-4ec6566f24c6
fi
echo ‘S’està carregant el Linux 3.4.6-2.10-desktop …’
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.6-2.10-desktop root=UUID=3f9d55f8-187b-426b-b6b5-4ec6566f24c6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3320620AS_5QF2TZKT-part5 splash=silent quiet showopts
echo ‘S’està carregant la ramdisk inicial …’
initrd /boot/initrd-3.4.6-2.10-desktop
}

As you can see, my root system is hd0,msdos7 which (as far as I’ve seen in other forums) corresponds to sda6, which is the partition where my root system resides (sda6 is within partition sda4).

With the Live USB I have mounted the sda6 partition and I’m able to see the vmlinuz-3.4.6-2.10-desktop and the /boot/initrd-3.4.6-2.10-desktop files in the /boot directory.

Any ideas of what is going wrong ?

Best,

Lluis

In my installation msdos6 corresponds to /dev/sda6. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2 for more details.

regards,
Hendrik

Dear all,

Hendrik, you are right. I now have tried a completely new installation. Removed everything in the disk and created new partitions. But the same problem remains.

Now: /dev/sda1 is the swap, /dev/sda2 is the root folder and /dev/sda3 is the home folder.

I always get the same message when trying to boot for first time the hard disk.

Best,

Luis

Hi,

I now tried a fresh installation in English Language. Everything went smooth! It worked!

I previously tried the installation in Catalan. This may be a bug… in GRUB ? Or the installer ?

Best,

Luis

Hi,

I tested it. It’s not a bug in the installer nor in GRUB (well, not really). The problem is in the installation.

Note my first message. The GRUB configuration file echoes the next message

echo ‘S’està carregant el Linux 3.4.6-2.10-desktop …’

Note that in Catalan the apostrophe is used. And I think that the first apostrophe is closing the message that has to be printed.

When booting the system I tried to edit the configuration and completely remove the previous message. And it worked!

So, for anyone who has a similar problem I recommend to manually remove the “echo” message that appears in the GRUB configuration.

Best,

Luis

On 11/18/2012 02:36 PM, lluis garrido wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I tested it. It’s not a bug in the installer nor in GRUB (well, not
> really). The problem is in the installation.
>
> Note my first message. The GRUB configuration file echoes the next
> message
>
> echo ‘S’està carregant el Linux 3.4.6-2.10-desktop …’
>
> Note that in Catalan the apostrophe is used. And I think that the first
> apostrophe is closing the message that has to be printed.
>
> When booting the system I tried to edit the configuration and
> completely remove the previous message. And it worked!
>
> So, for anyone who has a similar problem I recommend to manually remove
> the “echo” message that appears in the GRUB configuration.

That is a definite bug. You should report that on the bugzilla site.

On 2012-11-18 21:36, lluis garrido wrote:

> So, for anyone who has a similar problem I recommend to manually remove
> the “echo” message that appears in the GRUB configuration.

Please report this in Bugzilla so that it gets corrected.
openSUSE:Submitting bug
reports

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Done!

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=790195

Best,

Luis

And would helpfule to post bug number here for reference.

This is openSUSE specific bug. One of patches caused incorrect enumeration of logical partitions. It should not affect actual operation but is confusing indeed. It is fixed in current GRUB2 update for 12.2

Those forums are wrong, or you didn’t read carefully. sad6 corresponds to hd0,msdos6. What you see here is a bug that has been already reported and fixed:

# grub2-probe -d /dev/sda5 -t drive
(hd0,msdos5)
# grub2-probe -d /dev/sda6 -t drive
(hd0,msdos6)
# grub2-probe -d /dev/sda7 -t drive
(hd0,msdos7)

If you search the forum, you will find threads linking to the bug report and to the solution.

In Legacy Grub notation however sda6 corresponds to (hd0,5).

This bug is non fatal to Grub2, and thus you can boot because the UUID of the root partition is correct. That’s what matter to Grub. If you type:

# blkid -U " 3f9d55f8-187b-426b-b6b5-4ec6566f24c6"

the output will be /dev/sda6.