Opensuse 12.2 & NCP

We are in the process of transitioning from old Novell Netware servers to Linux. So far everything has been great and worked well. We had two OpenSuSE 12.1 servers. One was just for testing purposes and we upgraded it to 12.2. On that server we have the ncpfs package to copy things over from our old Novell Netware servers. We just put up two new servers freshly installed with OpenSuSE 12.2 but have been unable to find the ncpfs package to install so we can copy files to our new servers. It looks like this package is not out there and is not going to be developed. Any ideas or suggestions? I am guessing that I could put the package source from the 12.1 server on there and get it - expecting it to break something…

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network/openSUSE_12.2/

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.5 | GTX 650 Ti
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.4 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.2 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

• jpeteet,

what Martin said, but consider some alternatives:
-You could use SLED instead of openSUSE, there’s a Novell client available for SLED.
-You could enable CIFS on the Netware/OES boxes and use Samba clients
-Do you need openSUSE at all? If you are entitled to OES, the number of servers is usually not limited, so consider replacing the openSUSE boxes with OES.

Uwe

Thank you Martin. That looks like what I was looking for. I’m sorry I was not able to find it on my own. Still pretty fresh faced as it pertains to OpenSUSE.

The OpenSUSE box is going to be replacing the Netware box ultimately so I was just trying to copy files over and discovered the NCP FS was not included and that led me to where I am now. I am not sure what you are saying if I am entitled to OES. We do have the unlimited server licenses that they started issuing on NW 6.5 (if my memory is correct and that is what you are talking about) but we never put up an NW 6.5 Linux server - we always went Netware. I know that is not a good spot to be in, but unfortunately, that is where we are due to decisions that were not mine at the time. I would definitely entertain any information that you may have in that regard…

• jpeteet,

check with your customer care portal and/or with your Novell sales rep. I have no idea if/how Netware licenses got moved to OES licenses. If you own OES licenses for your clients, you may install as many OES Linux servers as you want.

I know nothing about your environment, but using openSUSE as a server OS is IMHO quite a PITA, due to the short lifecycles. I’d go for an enterprise flavored OS like SLES or OES.

Uwe