openSUSE 12.1 Upgrade Used Wrong Drive in menu.lst

My openSUSE 11.4 system booted off sdb1 (hd1,0). When I upgraded to openSUSE 12.1, the new menu.lst created by the upgrade procedure substituted (hd0,0). Consequently, my system failed to boot.

Solution: I brought up the rescue system from the DVD, and did the usual dance (mount the target system, mount /dev, /sys, and /proc
ont he target system, chroot to the target system). I tried using yast (non non-graphical mode) to edit the boot files, but I must have overlooked
something, because I couldn’t convince it to update the menu.lst file. So, I edited menu.lst manually and ran grub-install. The system now booted
correctly.

If others encounter the same problem, Something Will Need To Be Done.

In general you must make sure the drive order, in the install section, matches the boot order you have set in your BIOS. Your boot drive is always HD0 to grub legacy used by openSUSE 12.1, but may be set as HD1 or higher if it is not deemed to be the first drive during the install in the installation section of the openSUSE 12.1 install page. No OS can guess a boot selection when its not the first drive in hardware order and this is further confused when combining IDE, SATA, USB2 and USB3 drives. So, make sure openSUSE 12.1 KNOWS the boot drive order as set (or as you intend on using) in the Installation Section of openSUSE 12.1, before you press OK to start the installation.

And I am very happy to hear you over came the problem and happy for you to share your experience with the forum.

Thank You,

menu.lst? I thought OS - 12.1 was going over to Grub2?

The default grub is still version 0.97, also called grub legacy. Grub2 (version 1.99) can be installed as it is in the repositories but I am not sure how you switch over. You want a Grub2 boot disk, know to work, to allow the grub2 install commands to work as just place the executable into openSUSE does not get you ready to boot into using Grub2. Also, once using Grub2, there are cases where you will need to manually update the OS menu as when the kernel version get updated in some cases. For now, I feel its safer to stick with the default OR install another distro that uses Grub2, get a dual boot working and then switch over openSUSE.

Thank You,

On 2011-11-17 02:56, CraigMiloRogers wrote:
> Something Will Need To Be Done.

YES! Start by reporting the problem in Bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I am a little puzzled by one aspect of your reply. I assumed that an upgrade will read the existing menu.lst for guidance, rather than create a new one from scratch.

> YES! Start by reporting the problem in Bugzilla.

This appears to be the same problem as was reported in bug 717321 in September.

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=717321

It is to be hoped that the proposed fix to the problem would have been incorporated into the final openSUSE 12.1 release.

On 2011-11-18 23:26, CraigMiloRogers wrote:
> I am a little puzzled by one aspect of your reply. I assumed that an
> upgrade will read the existing menu.lst for guidance, rather than
> create a new one from scratch.

Partly.
Software has bugs.
These have to be reported.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2011-11-18 23:46, CraigMiloRogers wrote:
>
>> YES! Start by reporting the problem in Bugzilla.
>
> This appears to be the same problem as was reported in bug 717321 in
> September.

Ugh.

Well, lets hope that your report wakes them up a bit.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I am a little puzzled by one aspect of your reply. I assumed that an upgrade will read the existing menu.lst for guidance, rather than create a new one from scratch.

CraigMiloRogers, While what you say makes sense, it is hard to know all configurations and if that configuration, due to either the combination of devices or the fact that the default hardware configuration has been over ridden, can even be determined. So, you can not take anything for granted. You must look at the openSUSE 12.1 installation section and make sure the boot drive you are using is shown to be the very first drive. If it is not, it will not be designated as HD0 and fail when the Grub Legacy boot menu starts up. The grub legacy menu is one of the things that really needs updating in openSUSE, even as doing so would upset all sorts of other things in the distribution. In the big picture, Grub legacy is still by far more compatible with the common Linux PC and switching to Grub2 will leave many users behind. At some point it will happen however, but not this time.

Thank You,