Opensuse 12.1 not mounting entries in fstab after upgrade from 11.4

Hi,

I updated the system from 11.4 to 12.1, however some partitions that were previously mounted to a folder are no longer mounting at boot.
This were mounted to /media/disco02, 03, etc. now when the system boots the disco02, disco03, folders are not there, have to create them and then mount them manually. When I reboot the same no folders, no mounts.
Please help.

Kind regards,

Juan S.

Please post result of

cat /etc/fstab
cd /media
ls

Welcome here. I see this is yourr first post.

Please take the habit to post here real computer output to underline what you say. When you say “entries in fstab”, the show /etc/fstab. Thus we can all see. Now caf4926 has to ask you for this very obvious information.

And post this between CODE tags: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html
I say this because it is not very obvious to new posters how to use the CODE tags.

/media is now mounted as tmpfs (in RAM). This is why your folders are gone after a reboot. You should choose another mountpoint than /media if you want permanent mount points.

Hi,
the results form cat /etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-MB0500EBNCR_WMAYP0929556-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-MB0500EBNCR_WMAYP0929556-part2 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-MB0500EBNCR_WMAYP0929556-part3 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.5:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 /media/backupHD01    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/Volumen04/volumen04 /media/disco04       ext4       defaults              1 2
/dev/volumen02/volumen02 /media/disco02       ext4       defaults              1 2
/dev/volumen03/volumen03 /media/disco03       xfs        defaults              1 2

and the results from ls -l on /media

drwxrwxr-x 4 jsolorzano grupodba 4096 Jan 30 20:58 disco02
drwxrwx--- 4 jsolorzano grupodba   31 Sep 29 08:48 disco03
drwxrwxr-x 7 jsolorzano grupodba 4096 Aug  9 10:41 disco04

this three folders disappear whenever the system boots up

regards,

Juan S.

Thus what we see is what you did to repair it for the present life of the system, you created those dirctories manualy and mounted manualy. Correct?

Then I guess that @please_try_again is right. You can check this by doing

mount

and check if* /media *is indeed mounted as type tmpfs. That means of course that it will loose everything once unmounted (at shutdown).

I do not know why they introduced that, but I guess they think they are allowed to do this because* /media* is for mounting dynamicaly added “media” devices like CDs, DVDs, USB-sticks, memory cards.

Typically I set mount points at /
So rather than what you have
/disc01
/disc02
/disc03

To create the directory

cd /
mkdir disc01

You might want to do
chown on those with the -R option

On 2012-01-31 15:26, jsolorzanoecu wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I updated the system from 11.4 to 12.1, however some partitions that
> were previously mounted to a folder are no longer mounting at boot.
> This were mounted to /media/disco02, 03, etc. now when the system boots
> the disco02, disco03, folders are not there, have to create them and
> then mount them manually. When I reboot the same no folders, no mounts.
> Please help.

Prove it. >:-)

That is, for starters, show the contents of fstab inside code tags.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2012-01-31 19:16, jsolorzanoecu wrote:
>
> Hi,
> the results form cat /etc/fstab
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------

> /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.5:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 /media/backupHD01 ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
> /dev/Volumen04/volumen04 /media/disco04 ext4 defaults 1 2
> /dev/volumen02/volumen02 /media/disco02 ext4 defaults 1 2
> /dev/volumen03/volumen03 /media/disco03 xfs defaults 1 2
>
> --------------------

Whatever you create in /media is intentionally deleted on each reboot. They
do that by implementing that filesystem in ram since 12.1 (should be
documented in the release notes). Move those entries to the standard
directory /mnt, and leave /media to the system.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks, that fixed the problem.

regards,

Juan S.