openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

Hello guys,
Thanks for answering :slight_smile:

I have installed rfkill, and try running few commands

/usr/sbin/rfkill list

This command return nothing on my computer.

sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan

give this output :

lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

usb0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

and lspci as root give :

08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

On 09/02/2011 01:26 PM, kimlaw95 wrote:
>
> Hello guys,
> Thanks for answering :slight_smile:
>
> I have installed rfkill, and try running few commands
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> /usr/sbin/rfkill list
>
> --------------------
>
>
> This command return nothing on my computer.

No wifi device == no output

>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
>
> --------------------
>
>
> give this output :
>
> lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.
>
> eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.
>
> usb0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

No wifi devices.

> and lspci as root give :
>
> 08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE
> 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

This adapter and no wifi == no firmware. Look at the dmesg output. I know it
prints a message when the firmware is missing.

With a network connection, install the kernel-firware package using zypper of YaST.

My prior comments in this thread were for a 32 bit system that was updated from previous milestones (M2, updated to M3 updated to M5).

I have now installed freshly with a 64 bit system, installed from the KDE live CD.

Problems that I have noticed:

1: Touchpad controls. There is a neat control in KDE, to disable the touchpad if another mouse is found.

It does not work. I did have it working before. However, it never worked on a fresh install. I had to install the “hal” daemon before it would work. I tried that, but “hal” is not in the repos. It did work with 32 bit, but I don’t know if “hal” is there for 32 bit, or if it was left behind from M2 or M3. We need “hal”, at least until KDE fixes this option so that it does not depend on “hal”.

2: NetworkManager works. But it is a bit of a pain to use. Every change requires entering the root password. The prompter had the box checked for “remember this”, but it did not remember even when configuring several networks in a single session (the client was started only once). That might be a PolicyKit bug rather than a NetworkManager bug. Whatever, it is annoying.

Also some of the wording is misleading. When I select “Add”, it gives me a choice of “wireless” and “shared”. It turns out that “shared” will setup an ad hoc network, while “wireless” will setup an infrastructure network (i.e. to connect to your router). The terms “wireless” and “shared” are very misleading.

Why should I try month old software?

Kernel-3.0.4 is out and runs well on Tumbleweed. Gnome-3.1.90-beta1 is released. No person available as a koordinating release manager?

Hi guys, I installed kernel-firmware and everything is ok now. I don’t understand why but it’s ok …
Thank you

On 09/03/2011 12:36 PM, kimlaw95 wrote:
>
> Hi guys, I installed kernel-firmware and everything is ok now. I don’t
> understand why but it’s ok …
> Thank you

Your wireless device without firmware is exactly like your computer with a blank
disk. Does it work? Of course not.

Whenever we use the word firmware, we mean the operating code for some embedded
processor. In your case, it is the CPU in the wireless chip. In the old days
(2004-5) when wireless was only 802.11b and 802.11g, some vendors put the
firmware in ROM on the card. The RTL8187L and RTL8187B are examples. Other
vendors allowed themselves the luxury of being able to modify the code in the
internal CPU without having to replace ROMS. Thus firmware is needed. With the
complexity of 802.11n and all the new things that come along, ALL new wireless
chips need firmware. With Windows drivers, it is always embedded in the driver,
thus external FW is not needed; however, the Linux developers don’t like that
model. When I first introduced the driver r8712u into the staging part of the
kernel, there was a 12,000+ line header file that contained the firmware. I was
required to make the first entry in the TODO file be the removal of the internal
FW. The first step was getting the FW accepted into the linux-firmware git tree.
Then I could submit a patch that used the external version and deleted the
internal FW.

FYI, the kernel-firmware package in openSUSE contains all the FW in the above
mentioned tree.

As well as “nomodeset” being required for this nVidia machine, I have
found it also to be needed for a machine with an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
graphics processor. Even then, the display was unsatisfactory, being
displaced to the right and so part-hidden.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.0; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210;
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

I installed m5 from the kde 64 bit live cd and am pretty impressed. Everything seems to work fine.

Same for me nomodeset to boot as a nvidia video card.

The nvidia driver installed fine and used the packman tumbleweed repo for multimedia. My only complication was vlc - as the packman tumbleweed version needs libgnults26 when 12.1 comes with libgnults28 but version 26 from the oss 11.4 repo worked fine.

Would you mind being a teensy bit more specific as to the steps you took here to install the nvidia driver?

Hard way? Easy way? 1 click install? What repo you used?

Only if you have time or inclination that is,

Thanks

I went round in circles for a while trying to get nv then nouveau to do the job on a GeForce 9400GT but had problems like eg. very slow resizing of windows. In the end, I got the Nvidia driver installed the hard way and included nomodeset in /boot/grub/menu.lst as recommended. It seems ok now but I haven’t had time to do much testing.

I to would like to know your magic. I have an nVidia 7300 LE that I can not get to work with any of the new drivers. In fact the only way I can boot into openSuSE 12.1 is the use “nomodeset x11failsafe”. When I install one of the nVidia native drivers I will get the Sign-on Screen, enter my user and password, then get the Lizard with a progress bar that goes 4/5ths of the way and stops. I will hear the Logged-In Tune -but- NO Desktop. I must use Ctl-Alt-F1 to get a terminal for a proper shutdown. The last nVidia driver that I could get to work was 260.19.44 on openSuSE 11.4. NONE have worked on 12.1 – for me.

As was pointed out in factory mailing list linux-3.1 will enter openSUSE-12.1 . I activated:
baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard/
After upgrade linux-3.1-rc4 kernel is running very well for factory on my 64bit machine!

I loaded the live kde cd with nomodeset and installed adding nomodeset to the boot settings. Once installed I just d/l the latest nvidia driver and installed this the ‘hard way’ - after adding kernel source, kernal syms, gcc and make rpm’s.

My install was for the 64 bit version and my card is a 9400GT.

@lwfinger

Does this also apply to 11.4 and Tumbleweed. That is, as long as we choose kernel 3.00.4 and higher?

Hi,

I need help with installing the latest nvidia driver. OpenSUSE 12.1 MS5 kernel 3.0.0.4-desktop 64-bit (zypper dup’ed from MS4). Graphic card: GeForce 7300 GT.

After booting up my PC today, I don’t see my usual KDE desktop but a text screen only, even if “nomodeset” is already in the boot option.

Did look at “Loading nvidia the hard way” using 11.4 on same PC. Went to #yast2 > Software Management to use webpin to search for these packages: make, gcc, kernel-source/kernel-devel, and kernel syms. Search failed (Code 404).

I also looked at the thread on using script to load nvidia the hard way by jcmcdaniel3. My problem is that with a text screen I cannot access firefox to copy the script or to download the latest driver from nvidia site.

I would very much appreciate your suggestions.

:frowning:

From a terminal prompt you could use the following terminal command to get the driver if you have a working Internet connection:

wget -nc  http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/280.13/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run&lang=us&type=GeForce

This names the file confirmation.php?url=%2FXFree86%2FLinux-x86_64%2F280.13%2FNVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run. To get the script lnvhw you could use this command:

wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/59038085 -O /usr/local/bin/lnvhw

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/lnvhw

This should place it in /usr/local/bin/ as the script file lnvhw and the second command marks it executable. This folder is normally in your path.

Thank You,

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply. After the first set of command, I got some thing like “20 redirections exceeded”. After I typed the second set of command and reboot, still no KDE desktop and login screen.

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply. After the first set of command, I got some thing like “20 redirections exceeded”. After I typed the second set of command and reboot, still no KDE desktop and login screen.

So the first command was trying to download the nVIDIA driver, but it still must be loaded. In this case, it seems to take on a different name than the actual **NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run. **You could rename it and it could be copied to your default ~/Downloads folder. In any event, you would still need to install this driver. The second command was to download the lnvhw script file. If you got no error, then this did happen. The lnvhw script must be edited to inform it as to where you keep your nVIDIA binary file. Its purpose is just to install this file which you can do without it really. In any event, it is a basic problem if you can’t get a desktop, even using nomodeset in your Grub menu.lst file. But, if you can download the nVIDIA binary script, it is possible to install it from a terminal session.

Thank You,

Hello James,

1. I discovered that I used the lower case letter “l” instead of the upper case “L” for Linux in the confirmation file, since my printer seems to be running out of ink. This problem was sorted out.

2. When running the second set of commands, I got:

/home/james/Downloads: File not found

Then I realised that I should be changing user name from “james” to my user name in the script file…

1. Booting into run level 3 and after logging in as root, I tried to edit the “lnvhw” file in order to change user name as above:

kdesu kwrite /usr/local/bin/lnvhw

but this is what I got:

kdesu: cannot connect to X server

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot for your help.

Basically, you can not directly launch kwrite from a terminal session and must use the command:

dbus-lanuch kdesu kwrite /usr/local/bin/lnvhw

However, if NO desktop is even loaded, kwrite will not work at all. So, you must use something like VI or I like the text editor in mc (Midnight Commander). Try typing mc at the terminal prompt and see if it comes up.

Thank You,