openSUSE 12.1 : GNOME 2 availability Pool

Why not add a Mate Repo ? https://features.opensuse.org/312750
Mate is fork of gnome 2 and already has people working on it :slight_smile:

Excuse my first link, that is a mistake this is the correct one: https://features.opensuse.org/312946

After fighting with gnome 3 for an hour, I have decided to NOT instal Opensuse 12.x until gnome 2 is made available again. Gnome 3 is probably the most useless desk top window manager I have ever used and I have been in the business over 30 years !! It is the Edsel of window managers. I HATE Microsoft but I have to say that Gnome 3 makes Windows 3.2 look good !

ARG !>:(

I would like to see a mate/gnome2 repo, even if it warns not to mix it with gnome3 or what ever else. I’m currently running opensuse 12.1, but am using gnome 2.32 from the 11.4 repo. It is a little bit troublesome in regards to incompatibility, but nothing to hard to solve. Before anyone asks, i’m not writing a guide either. I’ve only been using Gnu/Linux for a year, and it’s not to hard.

Who warns not to mix mate with gnome3 or whatever else? And what is whatever else? There is no problem in having Mate and Gnome3 … and if there is one, that would be a bug that needs to be addressed. I install Mate in parallel to Gnome3, Cinnamon and even Unity on Linux Mint machines. Here’s the Gnome part of my Xsession file:

# ------------------ gnome ---------------------------------------
        gnome-fallback|gnome-classic|metacity)
        dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session gconftool-2 --type=int --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 9
        export cfgfile=$cfgdir/xdg/menus/applications.menu
        ;;

ubuntu|unity)
        dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session gconftool-2 --type=int --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 9
        ;;

ubuntu-2d)
        ;;

gnome*|mutter)
        ;;

mate-session)
        ;;

cinnamon)
        export cfgfile=$cfgdir/xdg/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu
        ;;

Could do the same under openSUSE … if ever the days wouldn’t have only 48 hours.

I’ve caused some confusion, sorry my post wasn’t phrased very well. What i should have said was, “I would like to see a mate/gnome2 repo, even if we are advised not to mix it with gnome3 or what ever else, by package maintainers.”
That’s still not phrased to perfection. I didn’t mean that you can not have both however I was under the impression that mate still has some compatibility bugs. What i meant is, IF it is not possible to have both coexist, i would still like to see a mate repo available, with a word of caution.

I can only agree with that. There should be a mate repo. And I don’t see why you could not have both (since it’s possible and works under Mint).

as Gnome 2 isn’t supported anymore, as best as I can tell, then should be made available? If there’s interest then Mate should be available

It is openSuSE 12.2 time and after reviewing 12.1 with both Gnome and KDE I ended up going with KDE even though I was a long-time Gnome user and lover. Gnome 3.x was quite a shock, and not in a good way. KDE is tolerable but not as slick and easy to use as my old Gnome and it uses many more resources as it is quite the pig. I would like to see 12.2 have a Gnome 2.32 option as nothing so far compares. If that is not possible the should keep 11.4 supported over an extended time. I hear support for 11.4 expires in a week or so. That sucks! Any way to load Gnome 2.32 onto openSuSE 12.2?

Give XFCE a try. You might find it similar enough to Gnome 2, and a bit lighter weight than KDE.

May be hope
[opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 … do not disable repos on EOL?](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2012-08/msg00094.html)