OpenSUSE 12.1: ERROR Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Operations error

Hi

Just a quick question. I have a AD Server (Windows 2008 R2 running in “2003 mode”) that is also a DNS server but not a DHCP server. It is a new Domain set up to hold various bits and bobs but I want a FQDN setting up nicely. So I need this to work.

I have a OpenSUSE 12.1 box that has a static IP. (It used to be OpenSUSE 11.3, more on that later)

I want to connect this OpenSUSE 12.1 box to the domain. So I use the Yast interface. When I try, it finds the domain controller: because it “scans” then asked for the Administrator password for the Domain Controller (all good). But thne it whirrs for some time and then says

ERROR Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Operations error

The thing is I got to the same recipie (static IP, in yast, asks for Administrator password) in 11.3 and got to the same point where it failed and in 11.3 (EXACT same equence of events) but it failed with this error message.

Failed to join domain. failed to find dc for domain "DOMAINNAME"

It seems doubtless I have probably got a poor config on my Domain Controller. But can anyone tell me what it might be?

On 2012-05-01 13:16, conanman wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Just a quick question. I have a AD Server (Windows 2008 R2 running in
> “2003 mode”) that is also a DNS server but not a DHCP server. It is a
> new Domain set up to hold various bits and bobs but I want a FQDN
> setting up nicely. So I need this to work.

It is better to use the DHCP in that machine, so that the DNS knows about
the leases automatically.

Is your domain named something.local? It will not work until you stop
service avahi* in Linux. Known issue.

Or something.localnet? The second part is too long.

Was this IP assigned to another machine or system previously? Perhaps you
have to tell AD to forget that machine.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)