openSUSE 12.1 (Another) Review at H Open Source

http://www.h-online.com/imgs/43/4/1/4/4/3/2/823835bd1e34eb01.png

I always like to read what the H Open Source writes up on the Linux kernel and now they have a nice article on openSUSE 12.1: openSUSE 12.1 arrives with systemd and Btrfs - The H Open Source: News and Features

http://www.h-online.com/imgs/43/7/3/6/7/2/6/openSUSElogo200-9441fefc8b52aa85.jpeg

They make specific mention of the new systemd and Btrfs File system support in openSUSE 12.1

http://www.h-online.com/imgs/43/7/3/6/7/2/6/f68ced5ead51200e.png

Let me say that I really like the new openSUSE 12.1 as I have installed it on my #2 system as well as in two VM’s to test both the KDE and GNOME desktops. I have put together two specific blogs on the openSUSE 12.1 system that you may find useful:

systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

AND

openSUSE 12.1 SUSE KDM Login Screen User Listing - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I also have a forum message as a listing of scripts tested with openSUSE 12.1 here:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/development/programming-scripting/467855-opensuse-12-1-bash-scripts-known-work.html

So the two best things about openSUSE 12.1 in my mind is the new kernel 3.1 & systemd which considerably accelerates system startup. I did have issues with the after.local file not working by default, but I was able to come up with a fix for that. I also find the new artwork to be very good and the SUSE eye movement during start is a real hoot.! Of course, KDE is my desktop choice now, but the new GNOME 3.2 is very nice as well. Until I loaded it into a VM, I had not played with the new GNOME desktop. As a KDE user, it takes some effort to get used to, but the desktop is very clean and tidy and works very well after some usage.

As always, I want to hear any comments you may have on openSUSE and your usage of openSUSE 12.1!

Thank You,

On 12/04/2011 03:46 PM, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> I want to hear any comments

thank you for your many contributions to open source and openSUSE!!

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

Thanks so much for your very kind words DenverD!

Thank You,

jumped in feet first - tossed 11.4 and popped open a can of 12.1; will see how it goes…

Linux Format Magazine have a Head to Head comparison with openSUSE 12.1 and Fedora 16
Both Distros get a fair comparison and there are some pretty positive comments about KDE that shine through (not just in that article, but the issue in general).

I’m fortunate to be able to report that openSUSE comes out on top.
And LXF shipped the full openSUSE DVD

opensuse 12.1 is better than 11.4, it’s just me as I see it with my upgrade at home.

It’s great here too
But 11.4 was always rock solid for me.

I can’t agree that’s why with that release I decided not to take out 11.3. that was rock solid at home.

Funny how things can be so different
I recall 11.1 for me - I couldn’t use it. Yet for most it was the Bees Knees

Hi caf4926,

11.4 is solid too, there are only minor differences with 11.3 the way it behaves.
One minor example is, in 11.3 my webcam is crystal clear which I can’t get it to behave the same in 11.4.
Now 12.1 seems getting better, maybe I’m one of the lucky opensusers who didn’t had trouble installing it.
Most problems I see through threads in this forum is kde and gnome, I am using xfce and it is working properly.
When I first installed opensuse 12.1 on my sand box I had a problem shifting from init 5 to init 3 but Robin Listas
a forum member told me it was a bug with gdm so shifting to kdm addressed the problem. Now I already installed
12.1 hook up to our tv in our entertainment corner .

caf4926 wrote:

>
> conram;2414892 Wrote:
>> I can’t agree that’s why with that release I decided not to take out
>> 11.3. that was rock solid at home.
>
> Funny how things can be so different
> I recall 11.1 for me - I couldn’t use it. Yet for most it was the Bees
> Knees

12.1 works nicely here. If it weren’t for the KDE PIM goat-rope I would
have it running every where. Funny how the details get in the way of the
big picture at times - until KDE4 gets squared away anything past 11.4 is