openSuSE 11 iBook G4 resume from standby fails after update

Hello!

I installed openSuSE 11.0 on my iBook G4 (ATI RV280 5c62, PPC 800MHz, 640MB RAM). Directly after installation, standby and resume worked fine when opening and closing the monitor.
Now I did the automatic update from SuSE. When closing the monitor the system seems to go to standby (status LED signalizes standby). But when I open it, the monitor Backlight goes on and the system is freezed. The only way is to restart with the power-button.
Has anyone any idea, what I can do to find out, what is going wrong?

thank you, Andreas

I don’t have a powermac, nor do I know anything about resume/suspend. BUT you can check to see what applications you installed, that may have caused you to lose this capability.

Open a gnome-terminal / konsole and type:rpm -qa --last > installed-rpms.txtand then use a text editor to open the file “installed-rpms.txt”. That will give you a chronological listing of the rpms you installed and maybe in that you will get some hints.

Also be certain you do not have any experimental repositories in your repos list. You can see what repos you have setup by typing in a gnome-terminal / konsole:zypper lr

I did only the update before it stopped working. I did not install aditional software. A lot of packages were updatet (it was the first update after installing from DVD): kernel, x11-server, x11-driver and a lot of libraries.
I have the following repositories:
Packman Repository
ATI Repository
openSUSE-11.0-Updates
openSUSE-11.0-Oss
Packman Repository
openSUSE-DVD 11.0
openSUSE-11.0-Debug
openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss

Those repos look ok … and if it is the initial update after an install, that makes it unusual, as typically the initial update “fixes”, as opposed to “breaks”. Are you a gnome or kde user?

I know kde has an app called kpowersave (or something like that) which perhaps was updated and the previous configuration lost? A line of investigation may be to figure out what app manages the suspend / resume operation, and see if it is misconfigured. Apologies that I can not be more specific, but as noted originally, I don’t know much about this.

Just a few random ideas:

Are you suspending to disk or ram? Does one works but not the other?
Suspending events are usually logged somewhere. Check the logs - I think there is one specific for the suspend routines. Can’t remember where exactly, but searching the forum will help you. That’s how I got my laptop suspending correctly (except network issues).

Hello, I suspended to RAM. I tried to use the Suspend to Disk option. When I start up from s2d, the Memory-Image is loaded, but when it comes to bring up X, some weird graphics is displayed and the system does’nt respond to keyboard any more.
Yesterday I tried some options of s2ram. “-f -p -m” and “-f -p -s” are suggestet for ATI graphics in the documentation.
With “-f -p -m”, the system shows a non blinking white cursor on black ground after resume, with “-f -p -s” there is a fast blinking white cursor on black ground. The system does not react on keyboard any more.
Next thing I will try is to set up a ssh, to see if the system is responding on network, and I will look out for some logs.
Andreas

Ok, I tried this now. Network is not responding any more. I have not found any specific log file for suspend/resume. In /var/log/messages no relevant entry can be found.

OK, now I have the solution!
It’s the wlan-interface. When I bring it down with “ifdown wlan=0” I can suspend and resume without problems. So I looked for a way to automatically bring the wlan-if down before suspend and bring it up after resume, but that is a little tricky:
The first thing that came in my mind was /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d
I added a script which would bring the wlan-if down and up but it had no effect. All these scrips seem not to be executed.
The solution was in /etc/power
the script “pmcs-pbbuttonsd” is executed before suspend with “suspend <source> ram” and after resume with “resume <source> ram”
All I had to do was to add two directorys in /etc/power:
“suspend.d” and “resume.d”
There I have to put the scripts to bring the wlan-if down and up.
All seems to work, but there are two mechanisms which seem to control the powersave stuff: the powersave-daemon (controlled by KPowersave) and pbbuttonsd. This has some weird effects, for example, when in KPowersave a action for cover-close is defined and the cover is closed, the pbbuttonsd sets the system to suspend. After resuming the powersave-daemon sets the system to suspend again.

Neat! Thanks for sharing your solution.

Out of curiosity, do you have a similar problem with your sound?

Thanks!
I’ll bookmark this, I’m sure I’ll need it sometime :wink: