Opensuse 11.4: Sound problem

hi

I have installed Opensuse 11.4 KDE live media on my laptop. After installing the sound doesn’t seem to work. I don’t have pulseaudio installed (have removed it using zypper). So am now with alsa. I tried to troubleshoot using alsa-info.sh, but the contents are too technical for me to interpret. I hope someone can help looking at it and give me some hints on what’s going on and other ways of troubleshooting. One more thing I noticed is that, whenever I reboot and go to alsamixer, all the options are muted. I suspected also my soundcard is faulty (is that possible?) thanks

Logfile

Sorry, i got it working by turning off acpi during boot. thanks

Mine also does not work but I got it to work by uninstalling Pulse and Alsa and rebooting, but did leave the following files in place.

1. libpulse-browse0
  2. libpulse-mainloop-glib0
  3. libpulse0
  4. libpulse0-32bit
  5. libxine1-pulse

darren787, as I already noted in another thread, I do not believe you removed the alsa sound system. Some precision on your part would stop misleading guidance being given. I believe the alsa driver is STILL running on your PC.

For the record,I do not recommend users remove pulse nor attempt to remove alsa. IMHO its not good advice. I tried to offer suggestions to investigate your non-nominal setup (and IMHO bad setup - even IF you may have sound functioning) but you declined. Thats your call, but I do feel obliged to advise others not to follow what I see as bad advise.

darren787 Sorry. Your input is appreciated, but its not IMHO good advice to follow what you advised.

Thats fine, as I said before thanks for your efforts in trying to help, it is much appreciated when someone spends their time for others.

WARNING [size=1]

[size=2]It is not recommended to uninstall ALSA in anyway as it has many dependencies and could leave you with a very broken system. ALSA is compiled into the kernel and also provides many drivers for sound devices. Removing ALSA could break the Linux kernel and cause you to have an unusable system. [/size][/size]

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:06:05 GMT, Jonathan R
<Jonathan_R@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>-WARNING-
>
>it is not recommended to uninstall alsa in anyway as it has many
>dependencies and could leave you with a very broken system. alsa is
>compiled into the kernel and also provides many drivers for sound
>devices. removing alsa could break the linux kernel and cause you to
>have an unusable system.

Warning noted. I hope you don’t mind me saying so, but, that level of
kernel interaction is unacceptable.