openSUSE 11.4 Screen Blinking ATI Radeon x1650 series

Hello all,

Similar to the other threads, but a completely different card/manufacturer. The others were mostly Nvidia.

I have a dial boot machine, HP PAvillion with Windows 7 and now openSUSE, 11.4.

One (of my many problems right now!) is the screen / monitor constantly blinks/flashes/blanks. About every 15-20 seconds, it will go black for about 1-2 seconds and then come right back.

I was using KDE the first go around, and have since re-installed and am now running Gnome.

I switched to Mint in between and did not have this problem. Also, I do not appear to have this happen at the logon screen. I have also tried ubuntu and didn’t have the problem.

I have checked the screen saver settings, and power save options and have them set to off and a couple of hours respectively.

I have also modified the xorg.conf.d file to hard code the monitor settings. (Dell 23").

The card is Dual DVI out, and I have it converting to VGA to the monitor.

Thanks for any insight!

Are you using a KVM? If that is the case, try to connect the monitor direct to the PC and see whether the blinking still occurs

No, straight to monitor. It is DVI out the back of the PC with a converter to VGA monitor cable that runs to the monitor.

Hi Dewy. Your symptoms echo what I’ve read in this bug report.

Anway, the KMS-enabled radeon driver has undergone some recent changes affecting power-management. Have a read of this X.Org wiki page concerning the radon driver power-management.

Linux-kernel >=2.6.35 has now power-management code for radeon gfxcards R100-R700

There are now 2 basic power management methods available: ‘dynpm’ and ‘profile’. AFAIU, the dynamic mode is set by default. Try setting the profile method (via root console) like this

echo "profile" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method

The profile method offers 4 profiles: ‘default’, ‘auto’, ‘low’, and ‘high’. To get current setting

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

For example, to set ‘low’ (power) profile

echo "low" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

See if that makes a difference. It will not survive a reboot, but can easily be set via a script at startup if necessary.