OpenSuse 11.4 on a Macbook Pro - Failed installation.

Hi folks, i’m trying to install OpenSUSE 11.4 on a Macbook Pro 5,1 (later 2008). From boot menu i have chosen all the possible options, but i always get the same result.

I began choosing 1024x768 and standard kernel and i get a black screen. Reboot.
I chose VESA and kernel with security adjust. Black screen, then reboot.
Finally, i chose VESA and kernel with no-apic and the installation wizard loaded. I configured all and OpenSUSE began to install, but when it was finishing, the screen turned black.

¿Any idea? ¿Possible solution?

Thanks =)

As usual, try to add “nomodeset” to the boot options.

Ok, i am going to try it and i’ll post the result.

Thanks!

I tried with “nomodeset” in boot options but i got another black screen.

First, i used generic kernel with 1024x768 and nomodeset. It seemed to boot but when the progress bar was finishing, the screen turned to black and i had to reboot.

After, i used security kernel with VESA and nomodeset. This time i saw the boot messages and all seems ok, but (as the first time) when it was finishing i got again the black screen.

Finally, i tried with no-ACPI kernel, VESA and nomodeset, but the same.

What’s wrong ? :open_mouth:

What graphic card has this Macbook Pro? Are you booting a liveCD or a DVD? Can you boot any other distro liveCD?

This MacBook Pro has two graphic cards. An integrated (Nvidia 9400M) and a dedicated (Nvidia 9600M GT). I think all distribuitions use the dedicated graphic card.

I’m booting from the LiveCD and i have been able to install Ubuntu and OpenSUSE 11.3 without any kind of problem.