openSUSE 11.4 MD5 mismatch

Hi All

I’m having a problem with upgrading to openSUSE 11.4 it seems there’s a problem with the installation cd.

I’ve redownloaded the .iso from three different sources (using the offical website, a local mirror and torrent). All of the iso’s I’ve downloaded have the following MD5 F07E12FB40C2C21F2D6BDEEDD0C1E281. This doesn’t match the MD5 that’s posted on openSUSE. Any ideas.

Do you have an installed Linux system or OS X - if so you could try fixing it with rsync.

What ISO did you try to download - the exact filename?

I have this MD5 checksum file:

5f6d6d67c3e256b2513311f4ed650515  openSUSE-11.4-DVD-i586.iso

and using it, it says: OK.
When you have different contents, then it seems than you did not make very clear (at least to me) which CD, DVD, KDE, … checksum, you are talking about

openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso

And what program did you compute the MD5 with? Show the exact command.

You mean this one:

082ebfac494b41cd56b38fb4218c545d  openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso

?

You downloaded the file openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso.md5 with the above contents to the same directory as openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso?
And you then run:

md5sum -c openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso.md5

?

When did you download? Were you one of the <very> earliest?

I don’t know how widespread the problem was, I alerted a day in advance that the x64 image was corrupted in at least one repository accessible only to special access, and it was supposedly addressed only about 8 hrs before “official launch.” I have no idea if what I saw in one repository would be typical of any others, but it should be fully addressed by now, in fact as I’m typing this I’m now downloading the image again.

You might try downloading again.

HTH,
Tony

An FYI to the OP, completed HTTP download and verified checksum valid.

Tony

This distro has been the biggest PIA to install. Does anyone know of a good 64-bit resource? One that doesn’t take a day to download and that actually contains good data.

What are the details of your problem so we can suggest things to try? Otherwise it’s just a rant posting.

Have you tried torrent? That can correct incomplete downloads and blocks in error.

If you have a slow or unreliable link, maybe you should consider buying a pressed DVD for a few bucks from various distro resellers.

I have wasted about 10 DVD’s to this install. Moving on to something else. Never had any issues until now. No problems with my drive or media. 15 meg down, no problems. Not a rant. Just a fact.

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy your next OS.

On 2011-03-11 11:36, Memee wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I’m having a problem with upgrading to openSUSE 11.4 it seems there’s a
> problem with the installation cd.
>
> I’ve redownloaded the .iso from three different sources (using the
> offical website, a local mirror and torrent). All of the iso’s I’ve
> downloaded have the following MD5 F07E12FB40C2C21F2D6BDEEDD0C1E281. This
> doesn’t match the MD5 that’s posted on openSUSE. Any ideas.

Three downloads with the same checksum? Weird. I would suspect the method
or program you use for verification.

If it were the DVD I would suspect wrong size, clipped download.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

In other threads,
I have commented that method reading MD5sum may be incorrect, but if you’re using a <good> HTTP downloader or bittorent it’s highly unlikely that the download can be corrupted except through User Error or a corrupted file on the Server (very unlikely now since many others have been downloading from the same source).

In another thread,
I commented that the x64 ISO image is a special case, although the image passed integrity, I couldn’t burn the image using k3b probably due to its size. I instead used xfburn to burn a good disk which passed all tests.

HTH,
Tony