I just installed OpenSUSE 11.4 - fresh install (no upgrade). I had prevoiously been running 11.2 on precisely the same hardware (another fresh install) for the past year and had no issues whatsoever - loved it.
However with 11.4 there is a very annoying bug (actually, two of them, but I’ll post the other one to a different thread): every few seconds (10 or 15) the system ‘freezes’ for a split second. I know this may not sound like a big deal - but it very noticeable and gets really annoying quickly!
By ‘freeze’ I mean this: anything that is going on (visible) freezes for half a second or so. If you’re in the process of moving the mouse, the pointer will stop dead in its tracks for that half second, and then when it resumes (a half-second later) it picks up from where “it would have been” had there not been a freeze (it will jump from one position on the screen to the next, as per the actual movement of the mouse.
Thjat’s just one example. If I have a window (a terminal window for example) that is scrolling output, the scrolling will stop for the same half-second. (If I happen to be moving the mouse at the same time, the pointer and console scrolling ‘freeze’ occur simultaneously.
I did a quick monitor with ‘top’ refreshing every tenth of a second, and when this freezing occurs is seems to coincide with spikes in the kernel thread ‘kworker’.
I have a hunch that this may be due to new built-in NVIDIA drivers that are in 11.4 that I wasn’t using in 11.2 (where I compiled the driver from scratch) as I have seen a few posts about issues with this and the ‘nouveau’ driver - this is just a hunch.
Not that dmesg also reports this log quite frequently:
9140.292127] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9171.038139] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9191.641121] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9212.129120] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9232.538139] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9242.614120] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
9263.138154] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-1
Seems to occur with relatively the same frequency.
This is a FAST system (3 GHz and four cores) that is otherwise running IDLE, other than logging into KDE. So it’s not a case of high CPU usage or I/O usage.
The video card is:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2).
I have installed a basic KDE 64-bit distribution, using NO proprietary repositories - it’s essentially and “out-of-the-box” install. Incidentally, I did the install TWICE (from scratch) to see if the problem would go away. Id did not. :o(