openSUSE 11.4 crashing while startup (Graphics maybe) But working fine in Failsafe

Hi All,

I am big fan of SUSE… waited like anything for 11.4 release … but i am in trouble now … installed 11.4 on Acer 4820TG (switchabe graphics with ATI mobility radeon 5650)… after booting it fails with the attached error while works fine in failsafe mode …

Please help guys i cant wait to try my hands on the great diastro …

Let me know if u need any of the details i am available online for some 5 hours … and help will be greatly appreciated …

You can see the link i am getting here :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5bQOg5H6iliODQyNTZhNWItOWMyZi00MTI3LTlmZDctYWY0YjhiYjU5NGRh&hl=en&authkey=COuEudMO

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

Hi All,

I am big fan of SUSE… waited like anything for 11.4 release … but i am in trouble now … installed 11.4 on Acer 4820TG (switchabe graphics with ATI mobility radeon 5650)… after booting it fails with the attached error while works fine in failsafe mode …

Please help guys i cant wait to try my hands on the great diastro …

Let me know if u need any of the details i am available online for some 5 hours … and help will be greatly appreciated …

You can see the link i am getting here :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p…thkey=COuEudMO
Consider using the nomodeset kernel load option. This command is present in the Failsafe entry. So, before you press enter, to select the normal openSUSE startup, enter the option:

nomodeset

And then press the enter key. If this works, you can add this as a standard kernel startup command. In KDE you can use the Run Command:

kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

You can edit the menu.lst file and add the nomodeset command to be used all of the time like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSA2M080G2GC_CVPO037603KN080JGN-part1 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721010CLA332_JP9921HD2SSJLH-part5 splash=silent **nomodeset** showopts vga=0x346

If this helps, then you may want to search further on how to install the AMD/ATI proprietary video driver.

Thank You,

thanx a lot guys . that option worked … but the problem is i had to work with that crappy resolution 1024X768 . how can i change it to native to my laptop … 1366X768 … i have both the integrated intel and dedicated ATI 5650 GPU in m notebook …

thanx a lot guys . that option worked … but the problem is i had to work with that crappy resolution 1024X768 . how can i change it to native to my laptop … 1366X768 … i have both the integrated intel and dedicated ATI 5650 GPU in m notebook …
If you use KDE, did you try: menu / Personnel Settings / Hardware Group / Display & Monitor / Size & Orientation and try to select the correct size?

Thank You,

Decide which you plan to use.
Intel will probably just work - depends what it is exactly ( /sbin/lspci -nnk ) will tell us

If you want to use ATI, you need to install the driver
SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

I wrote a bug report on the problem you encountered as it affects other AMD Radeon HD graphic cards (such as my HD3450) and it is being tracked here: Access Denied .

I tested this on a liveCD and was able to load the proprietary graphic driver (even though it is not listed as supporting 11.4). I wrote a suggestion on how to do this for another user here in post#8

… and as caf4926 noted there are other guides as well noting how this can be done. However they ‘may’ run afound of the fact that the 11.2 Catalyst driver does not yet list 11.4 as supported.

I tried installing ati proprietery driver but after restart post installion graphics subsystem is not even coming up while starting even in Failsafe …able to login via console only … tried nomodeset also but not working … back to windows again to write this …

What method did you use to install the proprietary ati driver ? That might be important.

Also, before you installed the proprietary ATI driver, did you boot with ‘nomodeset’ and or disable KMS via YaST as described in the openSUSE-11.3 release notes? That also might be important.

Please help!!

Upgraded 11.3 to 11.4

now nowhere to go… system boots and graphics hangs just after auto-login…

I am a novice… Uses linux for fun and documentation.
Using Opensuse from 11.0 distro…

PC : AMD 6400:3GHz, 2GB RAM, Gigabyte Motherboard with 128MB Graphics

Can you provide us some more information on your openSUSE and on your PC so that we have a better chance of helping you.

Exactly WHAT graphics is in your PC ? Is it the AMD 6400 graphics in your sig ? Was your openSUSE-11.3 KDE or Gnome and are you updating to the same on 11.4 ? Was your openSUSE a 32-bit or 64-bit ? Did you have special desktop effects enabled in your desktop when you updated from 11.3 to 11.4 ?

I assume you tagged on to this thread for a reason other than just the title. Could you explain what in this thread makes you believe it is more useful to ‘tag on’ rather than start a new thread ?

Does your PC boot 11.4 in Fail Safe like the thread title states ? If not, then posting on this thread is very confusing.

Did you try booting your PC with the boot code ‘nomodeset’ ?

If KDE and if you installed with compositing (special desktop effects) ON, you could try switching them OFF by booting to a full screen text mode and edit ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc:

[Compositing]
Enabled=false