I have a repeatable and annoying problem that seems to be connected with the graphics card driver of nvidea. I had another card before (7900 card) and I have after having had a malfunction now a nvidea 430. Mainboard Gygabyte with AMD 790 Chipset, 4 GB Ram. The opensuse system is fully patched and updated, newest kernel but the same error occurred with another graphic card and with the precedent kernel and with the precedent nvidia video driver.
Now, the problem is as follows:
System is dual boot with options:
- openSUSE 11.4 64 bit
- openSUSE failsafe
- Windows XP Sp3
Windows boots normally without trouble.
Failsafe boots normally without trouble.
The option one presents a quite erratic and not really expected error pattern.
- if you put in any whatsoever parameter at boot (nomodeset or edd=0 or run parallel no than the machine does boot.
- if you do use nvidea driver OR the nouveau driver the machine screws up right after the beginning of the boot screen (no possibility to see the screen output because esc would not make before the lock up.
- if you do use the same parameters that make the system start normally as parameters in the grub (through yast) then the same system locks up again. No matter what parameter you try.
- occasionally you notice that the system has locks (temporary) when shutting down from the normal boot (that is when you did start with some parameter). This will happen generally with the ethernet at shutdown. Sometimes it blocks shortly when “setting firewall rules”. When moving a mouse or doing ESC it will go through to login normally.
- The functionality once you are on the desktop is perfect. No errors or locks, no problems at all.
But the problem remains a repeatable sometimes random lock up right at the beginning of the boot process. Any idea how I could see what happens? I also do not recall the parameter to be put in grub to have verbose output.
Thank you in advance for any help to make this system work.