Opensuse 11.3 Repositories

Hello friends,
I tried Opensuse 11.3 today and in software repositories there is only one repository called Opensuse Update 11.3 and the others are 11.2
Is this normal?
Can I add other 11.2 repositories in 11.3?
Can I add factory repositories 11.3?
By the way what are the addresses of factory repositories?
What are the adresses of all newest unstable packages?:slight_smile:

The openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 build is in the process of being reviewed and then created. I would highly recommend holding off until it is announced over the next few days.

Once it has been created, check the opensuse@announce mailinglist for the announcement.

If you want the latest repo, check the Factory repo.

I would read the following page as it also has links to the Factory Repository.

Factory distribution - openSUSE

**
BTW** Remove any links to 11.2. That is an error. You don’t want to mix them up.

Cheers!

Romanator :wink:

Software.openSUSE.org

dale14846
Thanks you so much for the link.
It really helped:)

Romanator
Thanks for the infos.:slight_smile:
There are only 2 official repo in your link.
Is there any additional repo?
only two?:frowning:

For now there are two. As we progress over the next several milestones we will be seeing new repos being added to 11.3.

Cheers!

Roman

Please, read about what Factory is first. Running Factory means you’re out there on your own. No stable repos etc. The Update repo is merely for testing. Some packagers from the build service compile packages for Factory as well. Nothing “official” is available for 11.3, since it does not exist officially.

Since the above had to be explained I strongly suggest you change to 11.2

Not true. You will have to wait a long time for 11.3 repos to appear. They always come a short time before release. In the meantime Factory repos have to be used.

Knurpht
I know the risks, thanks for warning
I think I have enough answers
Thanks everybody

Romanator wrote:

>
> The openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 build is in the process of being
> reviewed and then created. I would highly recommend holding off
> until it is announced over the next few days.
>
> Once it has been created, check the opensuse@announce mailinglist
> for the announcement.
>
> If you want the latest repo, check the Factory repo.
>
> I would read the following page as it also has links to the Factory
> Repository.
>
> ‘Factory distribution - openSUSE’
> (http://en.opensuse.org/Factory_Distribution)
>
> *
> BTW* Remove any links to 11.2. That is an error. You don’t
> want to mix them up.
>
>
> Cheers!
>
> Romanator :wink:
>
>
I just downloaded the dvd of MS1 for testing. Wish I would have found
this thread first. One question how do I stop the install, and at what
point, so I can change to the 11.3 factory repo’s or has they 11.2
repos been removed from the dvd. I thought I keep an news group thread
on it but I must have lost it.

Your help would be appreciated. Need to see if a couple of bugs I have
in 11.2 have been fixed. This version will be on test system.

Russ
[openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,
Intel Core 2 Dual E7200, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)

Wouldn’t you rather have fixed what’s wrong in 11.2? M1 definitely is not stable.
Don’t know if the install can still be stopped. If you’re past partitioning, it’s over and done with what was on / first.

Please return to 11.2 and search for help on the “bugs”. From what I see of your system, I wouldn’t expect much trouble, unless the NVIDIA card’s 3D, but that can easily be fixed.

Knurpht wrote:

>
> upscope;2111457 Wrote:
>> Need to see if a couple of bugs I have
>> in 11.2 have been fixed. This version will be on test system.
>> –
>> Russ
>> [openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,
>> Intel Core 2 Dual E7200, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)
>
> Wouldn’t you rather have fixed what’s wrong in 11.2? M1 definitely
> is not stable.
> Don’t know if the install can still be stopped. If you’re past
> partitioning, it’s over and done with what was on / first.
>
> Please return to 11.2 and search for help on the “bugs”. From what I
> see of your system, I wouldn’t expect much trouble, unless the
> NVIDIA card’s 3D, but that can easily be fixed.
>
Thanks for your input. The bugs have been reported. One says latest
version of KDE4.4 fixes it. Wanted to test that but use 11.3 since
nothing is installed on my test system at this time. I aborted the
11.3 install right after it initialized the software management. Never
got to partitions. My production runs KDE4.3.4 and I don’t want to
test on that.

Thanks again.


Russ
[openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,
Intel Core 2 Dual E7200, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)

If you are going to test 11.3 read the stickeys at the beginning of this forum
Do not use on a production machine use a sandbox computer or at least a separate partition.
expect the 11.3 to crash and have to do a complete reinstall
11.3 may perk along for a few milestones then be really buggy
on the next
the repos, besides factory don’t usually show up until the release candidates. packman, rc2 or later.

I don’t want to scare anyone away but be forwarned there are cautions that should be heeded.

That said I find testing to be a lot of fun.