OpenSUSE 11.3 / Mozilla Firefox freezes upon moving the mouse

I installed OpenSUSE 11.3 yesterday. When I begin to use Mozilla Firefox (version automatically installed with OpenSUSE 11.3) the cursor freezes or locks up (when I move the mouse/cursor-pointer), and the only way I can do anything is turn off the computer and start over (to no avail, because it does the same thing within a a minute or so after entering Mozilla Firefox. I did not have this problem with OpenSUSE 11.2.

Where do I start looking?

What can I do?

Everything seems to work fine in the Fail Safe mode, but when I enter normally, within 15 or 20 seconds, the system freezes…even when I’m still in the desktop.

What Video card? What video driver?

What happens if you run firefox as root?

How about as a different new user?

Did you try moving your .mozilla/firefox directory out of the way temporarily?

The problem, it seems, is not mozilla/firefox. About 15 seconds after entering, regardless of what I do, everything freezes. If I enter in Failsafe mode, everthing works fine (with the exceptions of things that don’t normally work in failsafe mode).

I’m not sure how to find my video card and video driver to detect their names.

I tried the following, in Gnome terminal:
jeffrey@linux-rdwk:~> cd /root/
bash: cd: /root/: Permission denied
jeffrey@linux-rdwk:~> lspci
Absolute path to ‘lspci’ is ‘/sbin/lspci’, so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).
jeffrey@linux-rdwk:~>

Don’t know why you want to go to the root’s home directory???

To become root at the command line

su -
enter root password (note this does not echo to the screen)

My video card information appears below, as printed using lspci:

linux-rdwk:~ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
linux-rdwk:~ #

I’m still unable to use OpenSUSE 11.3, without being in Failsafe mode, limiting my activities with this version of OpenSUSE.

As mentioned on a Facebook, and having experience with some old bugs, updating the computer should be first thing to do.
It is often known problem that is solved with updates, although in this case it might be different :frowning:

There is bug report in https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=547756
It is a bit different chipset, yours is Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ and reported is Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS. It seems that every current distro has that problem.

Next bug report found is also new https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29872 and you can try advice in comment https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29872#c6 . First add i915.modeset=1 to boot screen to check if that cures the problem. If it does then you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add that option in the line with other kernel options. The other option is to find /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf and add line options i915 modeset=1 to that file.

linux-rdwk:~ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

Jefrey,

advice in my previous post is for you. If you are not sure how to apply it, just ask.
I really don’t know how much Linux experience you have, so I didn’t want to describe something that you may know.

Thank you, rajko_m. I tried it, and it worked just fine. Thanks for the help. I don’t know much about Linux, but your comments helped me. Thanks, again.

Hi,
I am having the same problem now with an IBM T42 laptop. Initially I it seemed to be either Firefox or Chrome that hangs my system but later I found that some other network activity hung the system. If I do not connect to the network then I can work for hours but once I configure the network and demand heavy traffic onteh network the machine hangs. Therefore it has been unsuccessful to do an online update because the upgrade process hangs too. As a result of the online update process hanging the system is now corrupt so I am going to start over. :’(

Did you ever get your problem resolved?

Thank you,
Bruce.

The download shouldn’t hang if you log out of the desktop. Log on in console mode.
Now that X is not running, you’ll have more memory to devoted to the update process.

Log on as regular user, and type in:
su - zypper dup
Once it’s the update has finished, type:
su - shutdown -r now
Remember to have fun!

Romanator