opensuse 11.3 install

Hello.
I am trying to install opensuse 11.3 but the PC restarts itself before loading the installer dvd. When I run the installer dvd from 11.2 i can see all the files there, i click on auto run and it gives me an error msg saying cannot find autorun program also have a live gnome desktop cd and same problem, cant boot install media. This were both created on opensuse 11.2 using k3b for the first one and brasero for the second one. I have put both on an xp laptop and the installers start with no problem, both media check are fine, no error.
On top of that I have some ubuntu dvd and some xp dvd, I have tried both on my pc and they boot fine, so its not a boot problem, this ones were created on this same pc before I had opensuse, seems only cd or dvd created in opensuse fail, but it only fails when booting on my opensuse pc and work fine when I put them into xp laptop. I have been trying all day and I cant find any info on this problem. The only thing I can think of, that I have not tried is to try to burn a dvd using xp and try that one. Thank you in advance!

Ben,

This sure seems strange and you seem to have tried most of the options

The only thing I can think of, that I have not tried is to try to burn a dvd using xp and try that one
This would be a first, but it’s worth a try

Ok so I tried that and same thing happened as before, works on xp lap, not on opensuse PC.
I wonder if the 64 bit has anything to do, I understand I have 64 bit cpu from grep flags:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

so I downloaded 64 bit version, but when I hit uname -a i get as follows:

Linux linux-16q6 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

so I get from this I am currently runing 32 bit opensuse 11.2. Is this correct? All my dvds and live cds for 11.3 are 64 bit
Please help, I am a big noob.

Indeed that is 32 bit

A live cd in 32 bit should download in no time if you have a decent connection

ok. so I downloaded 32 bit opensuse 11.3, since I ran out of cd, dvd, i decided to use a flash drive, followed GUI instructions for windows to create bootable flash and same problem, flasdrive has live gnome 32bit but only boots up on my xp lap not on my suse pc. this is too much. whats is wrong? what else can I do?

Just clarify for me:

Can you boot any bootable media on this troublesome PC, be it Linux CD’s / DVD’s or Windows XP etc…

You seem to have 11.2 installed now, if you still have the install DVD - does that boot?

Hey all,

I got a netbook and thus I went in to create a LiveCD using d openSUSE 11.3 ISO n SUSE ImageWriter.exe app…but when I’m starting this app and browsing for d iso image…d only type of file extension it allows is *.raw Image Files!!!

I tried Unetbootin but on booting up with d USB flash drive it says “kernel image not found” [or smthin similar to tht] so I chkd d Unetbootin website n found out that it only supports upto OpenSUSE 11.2!! :frowning:

So plz anybody with a gr8 work around on this, plz come forward and help…it’d b highly appreciated!!

Cheers
-AJ

You can dd 11.3 image to a flash drive because I have done it

Eg:

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M;sync

you need to replace image.iso with the name of the file you have (TAB will auto complete)
And replace sdb with the drive you have. Be careful.
SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE

You talkin abt command line, like,in Terminal!!?? It wont really work for me cause I’ve Windows 7 installed in my netbook presently!! :frowning: U got any other idea???

Thanks Mate!!

@caf4926

Guess I didnt chkd d hyperlink at d end of ur reply and hence cudnt get wat was “dd”!! :stuck_out_tongue: Anywz am tryin tht option and will let u knw wat happens!!

Cheers!

well I liked opensuse so much I gave the install dvd for 11.2 to a friend, ubuntu wich was created before the 11.2 install does work, and also all cds and dvds created on suse 11.2 work on the xp lap, I did the flash drive thing on the lap with xp, and it only worked there, i can boot live cd, but not on suse 11.2,
Oh, and by the way, my last try, with the flas was a 32 bit, all the other ones were 64 bit, i guess that rules that option out.

@caf4926

I tried dd from d windows command line and used this command:

dd if=openSUSE~.iso of=/dev/H bs=4M;sync

[FYI H: is my flash drive…tho i wasnt sure whether I was doin it right!! Reckon it shud be smthin like sdX, isnt it??] :stuck_out_tongue:

It obviously didnt worked and I got this message:

Unknown suffix sync
Invalid block size

Can plz you tell me what did I do wrong in here?? I’m sure that ‘of=/dev/H’ isnt supposed to work.

Cheers.

On 2010-08-30 11:36, benjaminosis wrote:
>
> ok. so I downloaded 32 bit opensuse 11.3, since I ran out of cd, dvd, i
> decided to use a flash drive, followed GUI instructions for windows to
> create bootable flash and same problem, flasdrive has live gnome 32bit
> but only boots up on my xp lap not on my suse pc. this is too much.
> whats is wrong? what else can I do?

You said that 11.2 is working?
Then probably 11.3 is not compatible with your system.

You should boot in verbose mode and note at which point exactly does it reboot.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

on this troublesome pc i can boot any bootable media created before the suse11.2 install, nothing prior, however, everything prior that was created does boot up on xp laptop.
At this point since ubuntu was booting up on pc I decided to install and see if it was a problem with the suse 11.2 installation or something like that. I installed ubuntu, no problem, with the dvd created prior to suse 11.2 install on pc so, once im in ubuntu i restart, boot from suse 11.3 full dvd and same problem, it goes as far as initializing and then reboots. the dvd checksum is fine.
Now im downloading suse 11.3 on the laptop, I will burn with imgburn x1 speed and will try again tomorrow on this pc, it sucks cuz now im stuck with ubuntu. I dont think its a boot problem because ubuntu worked fine and also all the suse cd dvd media work on the laptop with xp no matter what I used to burn, its just the pc that wont pick it up.
Try to send me some info please.
Ill work my way arround it somehow but I need help.
also, according to this :

should i get the 32 or 64?, non work so far but just to be shure

dd is a Linux command
See the guide for windows instructions

Windows
SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE

@benjaminosis
I would double check BIOS
I will get back on this later, have to go

I am using the windows version. So you got any tip for that?

Unfortunately, no, I don’t use windows

If you have a 11.3 DVD that has passed the media check and boots up fine on other computers but not on your problem computer, I’m not sure what to suggest. Because from what you describe, you don’t even get a boot menu.
FYI: A 64 bit DVD should boot and at some point at or just after the boot menu, you will get a warning

Did you relate your spec to us. You don’t tell us what version if Ubuntu you were using. Did you try Ubuntu 10.04? Their latest release.

It seems to me, like you are OK booting older releases, which is why I am wondering about your PC spec.

The beauty of Linux though is the choice. If SUSE just will not work, use something that does.