opensuse 11.3 install problems on dual boot with xp

Burned os 11.3 iso dvd, booted in dvd, followed install menu. Install doesn’t seem to complete. when I reboot, mbr gives xp and opensuse as choices. XP choice works fine, but opensuse seems to get hung up in more installation prompts and eventually doesn’t accept dvd, but instead keeps asking for cd 1 to be installed in drive. So I back out of OS install and reboot into XP. So xp boot works great, but I can’t seem to get through OS install.

Did you run the option to check the md5sum from the DVD before installing?

Don’t think so. Will do and get back with results. I’m new to this whole operating system install thing. Tried ubuntu 10.04 and kept having probs with grub, so I’m trying OS 11.3.

Is md5sum the “check installation media” option?

Is md5sum the “check installation media” option?

Yes. thats the one.

No md5 is the check you use to test the download. Then media check tests that the disk is properly burned. Check media may or may not use the MD5 check sum method to test the disk image. In any case that is what you want. Also running a memory check also may be a good idea since you have had problems with other distro’s.

OK, I ran the check installation media option and it checked out OK. I don’t really know how to do the md5sum check. I will now run the memory test option.

My understanding on this is that the media check uses the md5sum, i could be wrong.

Update: after I ran the media check and clicked OK, it went into installation mode (no options for me to click on). Now the screen is black and no indication my dvd is running or my HD is crunching. Looks like a locked up system. I’m going to cut power and boot into dvd.

Instructions on MD5 are on the download page.

Allow plenty of time for the memory test it takes a while.

Also you might comment on what hardware you are trying to install on.

Installing on a 2003-2004 emachine T1150

How much memory does that machine have???

No md5 is the check you use to test the download. Then media check tests that the disk is properly burned. Check media may or may not use the MD5 check sum method to test the disk image. In any case that is what you want.

Have a look here YaST Media Check - openSUSE

Three hours and counting on the memory check. The test status is about 50%; on test number 8. The bottom of the screen says “Passed, press esc to exit”. So do I wait until the test status shows 100% complete, or do I press esc to exit. The computer is still crunching.
I have 382mb of memory.

On 08/17/2010 02:06 PM, wfw wrote:
>
> Three hours and counting on the memory check. The test status is about
> 50%; on test number 8. The bottom of the screen says “Passed, press esc
> to exit”. So do I wait until the test status shows 100% complete, or do
> I press esc to exit. The computer is still crunching.
> I have 382mb of memory.

I have had memory problems that took 12 hours to show up. Let it run overnight.
With that little memory, you have a slow CPU, thus a need for the test to run
longer.

That is way too small memory. Ok you might be able to shoe horn it in but this is most likely the source of the problem.

After the memory check runs you might want to try a text install it requires less memory.

On 08/17/2010 05:36 PM, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> That is way too small memory. Ok you might be able to shoe horn it in
> but this is most likely the source of the problem.
>
> After the memory check runs you might want to try a text install it
> requires less memory.

I have installed openSUSE 11.3 with exactly this amount of memory. Use the Text
Install (F3 at boot time) from the NET install or DVD. Skip the Live CD.

My guess is that the video will take up a significant chunk of the memory. Most low end eMachines were built like that. But a text install is really the only way you make it work.

Thanks for the help. I gave up after burning at least 5 DVDs and reinstalling 6 or 7 times. Now trying LXDE live cd install. Started new thread. Thanks.

Note that if the cd/dvd passes the media check there is no reason to download and burn more disks.
Did you try the text install?