openSUSE 11.3 EOL’ed, and quickly forgotten

Recently, openSUSE 11.3 reached EOL (End-of-Life) (openSUSE News). While the passing was not unanticipated (Lifetime - openSUSE), and, from comments, not altogether rued, the event was somewhat less than uneventful. Within a few flighting days after the demise, its ashes still in the wind and the fresh soil still moist, traces of its existence began to disappear.

With but a single openSUSE 11.3 system at home, my favorite and most reliable platform, and a few at a local not-for-profit that I render support, I took more than a passing interest as repositories began to disappear. The first to find notice was the KDE 4.7 Release (Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/47), followed in short order with the “Extra” and “Updated Apps” repositories. Soon thereafter, the oS “Contribution” and languages : python met the same demise.

I comment on this as I do not expect support nor assistance with an EOL’ed platform, but wonder at the somewhat immediate sanitization of the repositories. The gradual deletion led to a number of annoying problems with YAST and zypper. Were this cleanout of EOL’ed products and components applied consistently, these actions might have been more understandable. However, a quick perusal of the various repositories shows openSUSE 11.1 and 11.2 repositories (albeit empty in many cases) for several components. An empty repository might lead to interesting dependency problems and indication of orphaned packages, but spares one from the “repository not available” messages, with prompts to abort, retry or skip.

Since the product(s) is(are) out of support, these repositories are, of course, not updated. Is the physical support (drive space and energy) a significant concern ? Would such past-life repositories need to be mirrored fully ?

While these comments may more properly belong in “Soapbox”, the spectre of the approaching EOL of openSUSE 11.4 (7+ months hence) gives rise to more serious concern. openSUSE 11.4 was accompanied by the change from openOffice to LibreOffice, a not altogether transparent effort. On openSUSE 11.3, this change was introduced as a “Security Update” (which it was NOT!), and easily taboo’ed. With openSUSE 12.n, the migration from Gnome2 to Gnome3 has become an issue in many areas, and is not easily circumvented. Although the recent introduction of Cinnamon provides some respite, this is not a solution.

Given the lifetime schedules somewhat firm and the increasing user base, these migration issues will become a regular revisitation. There are alternatives, such as a “long-term support” release akin to the Ubuntu/Linux Mint strategy, and in the specific case of the openSUSE 11.4 → 12.1 Gnome situation, a longer period prior to EOL. I sincerely hope that such alternatives may be seriously considered.

On 02/02/2012 07:46 PM, SeanMc98 wrote:
> I sincerely hope that such alternatives may be seriously considered.

we here, in these fora are almost exclusively users helping users and
have little say in the direction of openSUSE or the lifetimes of past,
present or future releases…

those kinds of decisions are discussed/debated and decided on a variety
of mail-lists which you are very welcome to join…see here for how:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels

but, before you do i’d suggest you review the “mailing list netiquette”
which is linked…

and, you probably need to know that the lifetime issues you are
addressing were thoroughly reviewed/discussed/debated (and shouted
about) before the decision setting the current release/EOL schedule was
adopted in (i think) mid-2010…so, i really doubt the community is
(at this time) ready to entertain another round of that after only three
releases since the last war, uhhh discussions.

so, wear your flame proof pants and be ready for these questions:

1. Do you realize that openSUSE 11.1 is still supported by Evergreen?

2. Do you know that openSUSE 11.2 is also supported by Evergreen?

3. If you need a longer life SUSE you are welcome to give SUSE Linux
    Enterprise Desktop, have you?

4. Are you a member of the openSUSE Community? If not, why not?

just saying, do your homework and be ready because you are gonna find
lots of folks not wanting to discuss version timing changes again, so soon…

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

Maybe joining the Evergreen mailing list (and project) would be worth a thought?
Compare for example the mails/postings of the last month:
The Evergreen January 2012 Archive by thread

Regards
Martin

Hi
There was some chatter on the Mailing List, you can just point your
system to the ‘DISCONTINUED’ mirror repository or rsync it down
locally.
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2012-01/msg00165.html

You could use OBS to build any packages your wanting as well, just need
to create the repository and link again to the discontinued area.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop
up 1 day 16:32, 4 users, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Thanks for the link, as I had never perused the Evergreen resources. Particularly enlightening and reassuring were the comments in [Evergreen] openSUSE 11.3](http://lists.rosenauer.org/pipermail/evergreen/2012-January/000574.html), regarding oS 11.4.

I may have been channeling the thoughts of others, and shall keep reading. One particular observation, concerning the safety of the 11.3 → 11.4 upgrade is very reassuring. I do not run from a challenge, though I wish to avoid unnecessary expenditures of time.

The prospect of the 11.4 → 12.1 does not provide a similar warm feeling.

On 2012-02-02 21:25, malcolmlewis wrote:
>

There is almost nothing we can do, we don’t decide.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

For who is interested to contribute to the evergreen project and for who is interested in using it, there is a small poll to do an orientation about the future version of openSUSE that should be “evergreened”. So if you want to participate you can do it here:
evergreen poll on the next version to be supported

If you are interested in the evergreen project you should follow the official mailing list. #
Informations about the project itself you can find it here:
openSUSE:Evergreen - openSUSE

My mother is still on openSUSE-11.3, and I’ll need to keep her on that until September this year when I visit North America (at which time I’ll move her PC to 12.1 or 12.2).

I checked the OSS, non-OSS and update repositories for 11.3 and they are still there … but presumeably will be removed soon …

I confess it is NOT so obvious to me as to exactly where the ‘discontinued’ area may be.

Looking for an example, I took a look at Index of /Linux/OpenSuse/repositories/DISCONTINUED:/openSUSE:/11.3: and I don’t see much inside for content ? I assume there is a superior web site to = Providence University ::: CCI FTP =](http://ftp.cs.pu.edu.tw/) for a PC in North America, like my mothers.

Has anyone noted if a specific date been set yet, when repositories will be moved a TBD (?) discontinued area ?

I don’t anticipate changing anything in my mother’s PC between now and September this year, but one never knows when a package can get corrupted and one might need to re-install a package.

Am 21.02.2012 20:36, schrieb oldcpu:
> I don’t anticipate changing anything in my mother’s PC between now and
> September this year, but one never knows when a package can get
> corrupted and one might need to re-install a package.
>
Have you seen that
ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/11.3/

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Am 21.02.2012 20:47, schrieb Martin Helm:
> Am 21.02.2012 20:36, schrieb oldcpu:
>> I don’t anticipate changing anything in my mother’s PC between now and
>> September this year, but one never knows when a package can get
>> corrupted and one might need to re-install a package.
>>
> Have you seen that
> ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/11.3/
>
Sorry I forgot the mirror for the update repository
ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/update/11.3/

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

No, I had not seen them … or if I had it was some time back and I’ve since forgotten.

Thanks.

I’ll apply them to my mother’s PC at next opportunity. Earlier this evening I disabled all her repositories on openSUSE-11.3, so with those discontinued repos I’ll be able to again setup the OSS, Non-OSS and Update (such that packages can be re-installed if necessary).

Likewise, on my old desktop pc, so thanks Sean for raising this thread. Glad there’s a few of us left, at least for some months. Also, thanks to those responses giving useful links to some available 11.3 repos, very helpful. :slight_smile:

I liked 11.3 as well, but I moved on to 11.4 a long while ago.
After a bit of tweakage and updates, I haven’t run into anything
that would require me to go back to 11.3…been running milestones of
12.2 for awhile on another machine.

Time relentlessly marches on.

Honestly though, just because a distro is EOL’d
doesn’t mean you can’t use it, just like there are still folks using Windows
95…and probably OS/2 Warp. You do obviously have to realize the
limitations of what you can do with it.

Glad you found some 11.3 repos, very handy. I have a box running 10.2 I
wonder…nah… : )