Opensuse 11.3 doesn't like my intel GPU

This issue is driving me nuts. I had manually modified the /etc/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to use intel driver, but for some unknown reason Xorg still uses framebuffer instead.

I though that I fixed the issue (by modifying device.conf) but its back after update.

Xorg.0.log

Did you check the 11.3 release notes for advice?

The release notes claim that framebuffer driver will be used if I USE nomodeset. I DON’T want the framebuffer driver I want the intel driver.

According to the Xorg.0.log you posted you are using the Intel driver.

No I’m not. It says Intel, then it for some unknown reason selects framebuffer. Search the log for fb (its the second appearance).

Edit: btw. I known that I’m using framebuffer because desktop effects don’t work and mplayer selects the framebuffer driver as default.

Your point is noted reference “desktop effects” and “mplayer”, but I’m skeptical of your interpretation.

Is your openSUSE-11.3 a stock setup?

I’m guessing this is an X3100 Intel graphics using the 965GM graphic module ? Is that correct?

Did you try the legacy driver ? ie change from “intel” to “intellegacy” in the 50-device.conf (you will need xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy installed). Thats a speculative guess.

Its an HP Compaq 6710b. I’m not sure what exactly is the graphic card inside, but it reports as “Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)”

intellegacy seems to work, desktop effects work (but they are kind of slow) and mplayer works just fine with -vo xv.

I know, different bug, but same hardware. Take a look at comment#1 here: Access Denied

Their recommendation is:

In /boot/grub/menu.lst add nomodeset to the kernel line(s) you boot with.

in my case:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-desktop root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda1
splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a nomodeset

And in /etc/X11/xorg.conf change the Driver line in the device section from:

Driver “intel”

to

Driver “intellegacy”

Me ? Instead of putting ‘nomodeset’ in /boot/grub/menu.lst, I would apply it under: yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and change it to “yes”. This takes a minute or two to save once changed is submitted … it should do the same as putting ‘nomodeset’ in YaST.

Good news ! At least that was some progress :slight_smile: