openSuSE 11.3 /dev/console linked to tty7 after kdm start

Hello there,

I came across a small problem I could not solve examining the start and stop scripts.

When I boot (default runlevel 5) my system all log messages are displayed on /dev/tty1.
After the boot process has finished and kdm is started no more console messages are displayed on /dev/tty1. Instead all console output is redirected to /dev/tty7. When I change the runlevel from 5 to 3 boot.msg shows

Boot logging started on /dev/char/../tty7(/dev/console)

/dev/console has major=5, minor=1; /dev/tty1 has major=4, minor=1 and /dev/tty7 has major=4, minor=7.

Changing back to runlevel 5 gives

Boot logging started on /dev/char/../tty1(/dev/console)

in boot.msg.

Has someone got an idea why kdm redirects console output to /dev/tty7 instead of /dev/tty1?

just a wild guess but i think output goes to tty7 because most
systems in use on this forum are running X and a desktop environment
which “lives” (by default) on tty7 at run level 5…

(and, kernel messages go to tty10)


DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Starting from SuSE 9.x (that’s where I started with SuSE) up to openSuSE 11.2 all console messages have gone to /dev/tty1.
It’s correct that X runs on tty7. But that’s the reason why the console messages should not go there. They are not visible as long as X is running. All console messages should still go to the console no matter what other software is running on the system. If I would always run with runlevel 3 all messages would go to tty1. I see no reason why this should change in runlevel 5.
I still expect the same behaviour as up to 11.2.

jay-en wrote:
> If I would always run with runlevel 3 all messages would go to
> tty1. I see no reason why this should change in runlevel 5. I still
> expect the same behaviour as up to 11.2.

i can’t disagree with your point…

but, try this: i assume you are in tty1 when you issue init5…just
for fun, go to tty2 to issue the runlevel change…i agree it should
not make a difference where the messages go, but they do seem to move,
so i wonder way…and, i’m thinking MAYBE (somehow) tty1 is “blocked”
by the init command… ???

well…maybe you need to log a bug (seems KDM is wrongly directing, so
it must be a little buggy, huh?)

you could start here: http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports


DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

On 2010-09-17 19:06, jay-en wrote:
>
> Starting from SuSE 9.x (that’s where I started with SuSE) up to openSuSE
> 11.2 all console messages have gone to /dev/tty1.

Not really.

Messages from the boot sequence and /etc/init.d/ scripts go to VT1 (before you log in VT1), whereas
all error messages (kernel or not) go to VT10.

However, after log-in in VT1, messages from the /etc/init.d/ scripts should go to the terminal where
you issue the runlevel change (VT1 or whichever).

The warning log is different. It is defined in /etc/rsyslog.conf:

print most on tty10 and on the xconsole pipe

kern.warning;.err;authpriv.none /dev/tty10;RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
kern.warning;
.err;authpriv.none |/dev/xconsole;RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

So check if this configuration file has been changed.

You can also run this:

klogconsole -r 10

I usually had to issue that command after starting vmware server 1.x, it messed things.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Not really.

Carlos, thanks for your greater knowledge on this…it was beyond mine…

seems no bug report is required after all…


DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Ok, checked my syslog-ng.conf (not using rsyslog here). All kernel warnings and all errors go to tty10 and xconsole. That’s true for all the openSuSE distributions before 11.3 I remember.
Issuing init 3 from tty2 (3,4) results in the init messages being displayed on that tty. Issuing init 3 from a remote terminal (ssh connection) results in the init messages being displayed on tty7. If I’m not mistaken “normal” console messages have always been displayed on tty1 when initiated from a remote connection. So I had an assured place where to have a quick look for them. Now I have to log in first and open /var/log/boot.msg. Not as comfortable as before though…

Issuing a reboot from KDE in a terminal window does not act as before. All shutdown messages are displayed on tty7 though I’m taken back to the splash screen on tty1. Pressing the ESC key on the splash screen shows the old boot messages. To see the shutdown messages I have to switch to tty7. Being switched to tty1 with the splash screen is definitely useless at that point…