I am trying to use AutoYast on openSUSE 11.3 x86. I have a Hard Disk install from the openSUSE ISO in /dev/sda1 partition and this partition also has the autoinst.xml.The installer is not able to find my autoinst.xml and it complains “/dev/sda1 not mounted or mount failed”.
The Kernel command line parameter that I gave is “autoyast=device://sda1/boot/src/autoinst.xml” which is what works in SLES 11.0.
What is that I’m doing wrong? Please help!
I got around this problem. I just modified the initrd file (i386/loader/initrd in the CD and that I put on the first partition) and inserted my autoinst.xml in the root folder there. Then I used this initrd file and edited the commandline to autoyast=default and boom, the install worked. I didnt have to rely on putting autoinst.xml on network or floppy or otherwise.
To modify the inird file:
1. #gzip -dc initrd | cpio -id
This will extract initrd to current folder.
<Now just copy autoinst.xml to current folder i.e. initrd root>
2. # find . | cpio --create --format='newc' > /tmp/newinitrd
This will ‘re-zip’ the current folder into your new initrd. Just rename this newinitrd to initrd when copying over to the i386/loader folder.
hope this helps someone