OpenSUSE 11.3 and Dell D620 - wireless LAN not working

Hi all,

I have installed KDE OpenSUSE 11.3 i586 on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. All the drivers appear to have detected okay but I am having trouble getting wireless networking up and running.

YaST2 Hardware Information shows a wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card installed as a device BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN. Under the drivers node, it shows “Active: Yes”

The problem arises when I go into Network Manager and try to connect. When I try to add a new wireless connection and click “scan” it doesn’t see the SSID being broadcast from a router 10 feet away. When I try to add the connection manually it won’t connect.

I’ve tried a few of the troubleshooting tips I’ve found online for installing a Broadcom wireless card under OpenSUSE, but no luck. This thread Problem with Wireless using a Dell laptop with Opensuse 11.3 installed looked promising but my OpenSUSE is 32 bit not 64.

Any clues or tips greatly appreciated.

Install the broadcom-wl driver from Packman
PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket broadcom-wl

or
Webpin

There’s been a delay in my working on this issue, but I’ve spent more time again and have **not **been successful.

I tried the Packman drivers (packman.iu-bremen.de) by hooking up to a wired connection then launching a YaST Package Search. searching on “broadcom” found 5 packages, so I installed the Default (broadcom-wl-kmp-default - Wireless driver for Broadcom 43xx series chips). All packages installed okay and I restarted the system.

The Hardware Information panel shows that a Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card seems to be installed as wlan0. The device is “BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN”. However when I open Network Manager, I don’t seem to have any connectivity on wlan0. There are no results when scanning for SSIDs (despite there being around a dozen in the area, including my own router sitting 4 feet away). When attempting to set up a connection manually using the known SSID/passphrase, the system does not connect.

Using IFUP instead of NM, I enter basic info for SSID/passsphrase, the Saving Network Configuration dialog hangs at “Activate Network Services” for a long time, but eventually completes (or appears to). Unfortunately, no connectivity though.

Did I pick the wrong Packman package? Is there another approach I should be taking? Will these kinds of problems eventually go away now that Broadcom has open-sourced these drivers?

installed the Default (broadcom-wl-kmp-default

That is for kernel-default

What kernel are you using
In a terminal; uname -a will tell us

2.6.34-12-desktop

So you need to remove: broadcom-wl-kmp-default

And install: broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop and broadcom-wl

That did the trick! Thanks a bunch.

No problem. Take care

I have gone through this journey myself on my own Dell d620 while installing opensuse 11.4. There have been a number of solutions mentioned about using the pacman repositories and the desktop and wl driver. However when I did this my wireless card disappeared completely, I could see it using lspci but not in any gui on the desktop.

Solution, remove the pacman drivers or do not install them. Go to YAST and software management. from there, just search for broadcom and then choose fwcutter. Install and for me wireless light came on and I could now scan and connect to network.

On 05/06/2011 07:36 AM, gavfranc wrote:
>
> I have gone through this journey myself on my own Dell d620 while
> installing opensuse 11.4. There have been a number of solutions
> mentioned about using the pacman repositories and the desktop and wl
> driver. However when I did this my wireless card disappeared completely,
> I could see it using lspci but not in any gui on the desktop.
>
> Solution, remove the pacman drivers or do not install them. Go to YAST
> and software management. from there, just search for broadcom and then
> choose fwcutter. Install and for me wireless light came on and I could
> now scan and connect to network.

You can find lots of wireless issues explained in the wireless forum.

As you never posted which Broadcom device you have, the above advice may, or may
not, work.

I have D620 with Opensuse 11.4. This problem was fixed when I installed the repository from Packman and after I install the Broadcom drivers for Wireless. Do this and if the problem still persists send new message here… The complete url to install repository is http://packman.links2linux.de/install/broadcom-wl

The solution was not for a specified broadcom device, it was for the Dell D620 which , if using broadcom card, is the same for all models. I can not, as Iwfinger points out

You can find lots of wireless issues explained in the wireless forum.

As you never posted which Broadcom device you have, the above advice may, or may
not, work.
, suggest that this would work with other laptops with broadcom cards. It did however, also work for a Dell latitude d410 and dell d630. (What can I say, I like aging dell latitudes) :wink:

On 01/19/2012 04:16 AM, gavfranc wrote:
>
> The solution was not for a specified broadcom device, it was for the
> Dell D620 which , if using broadcom card, is the same for all models. I
> can not, as Iwfinger points out> You can find lots of wireless issues explained in the wireless forum.

Are you sure that ALL D620’s have the same wireless device?