OpenSuSE 11.2 upgrade failed on filesystem

I downloaded a copy of OpenSuSE 11.2 x64 for my AMD64 Phenom X3 system to upgrade fromm 11.1 to 11.2. I made sure the downloaded ISO passed the MD5SUM and SHA1SUM as well as media checks before I did the upgrade. During the upgrade process, I got the following error message and just ignored it:

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/tmp: cpio: rename failed - Is a directory

After finished upgraded and @first boot, I tried to manually upgrade the filesystem and also got the same error messages. Has anyone encountered this?

Not had this
Try as su,

zypper in cpio

Thanks for your quick response and I tried zypper in cpio. Here is what I got (am not sure if that fixed the problem):

#zypper in cpio
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'cpio' is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

It seems OK then.

Do you actually have any problems?

My system seemed to boot just fine (I posted this from the very same system). I reckon the error message was due to the post-install scripts and I have no idea what will be its consequence.

Shouldn’t be any

The only problem I have encountered so far (and am not sure has something to do with this) is the system get frozen (crashed) when I try to put it into a Suspend to RAM/Disc mode. I really need to be able to either suspend my system to RAM or Disc because booting the system takes about 25 seconds delay on GRUB after POST and before the booting menu is shown. This problem is really annoying even when the system ran on OpenSuSE 11.1. So, I doubt the later problem has anything to do with the issue discussed.

Suspend to RAM and or Disc is tricky. I never have issue with my Laptop though, but mostly it doesn’t work very well.
Check here
Suspend to RAM - openSUSE

My computer didn’t have the suspension issues with OpenSuSE 11.1, except ONLY on OpenSuSE 11.2.

Check here
Suspend to RAM - openSUSE
Thanks for the link and I checked that out, but didn’t help.

Honestly, I really appreciate you have been trying to help since I created this thread on the filesystem installation issue. AFAIC, the filesystem installation hickup doesn’t seem to create any issue. As with the suspension issues, I think it is better I just ignore them at the moment. I believe these have something to do with the ATI Radeon driver that my system is experiencing some problems with it in the sense that the ATI Radeon driver I downloaded from ATI site (linky) seems to have some conflicts with OpenSuSE 11.2. This makes the GUI too sluggish to use (reminded me of using Linux with an 8-bit X11 on an i386 back in the mid 90s). At the moment, I will just temporarily use my older AMD Duron computer and wait until SuSE and/or AMD has come up with the solutions.

Cheers.

Tell me what ATI GPU you have

Sometimes vendors supply BIOS updates that add better support for suspend!

My system is an AMD64 Phenom X3 on an Asus M3A76-CM board with 2GB RAM. Suspenses used to work just fine with OpenSuSE 11.1.

mazilo wrote:

>
> caf4926;2067390 Wrote:
>> Tell me what ATI GPU you have
> My system is an AMD64 Phenom X3 on an Asus M3A76-CM board with 2GB RAM.
> Suspenses used to work just fine with OpenSuSE 11.1.
>
>

When I look at the ATI site under Integrated Motherboard your model is not
shown Radeon 3000 - I only see Radeon 3100.

Did you try at Asus to see if there is a BIOS update?

Mind you I wouldn’t fret too much about this, just sit back and work on it
as and when you can. Google around on it.

You are right that it is a Radeon 3100.

Did you try at Asus to see if there is a BIOS update?
Not yet, but I sure will do.

Mind you I wouldn’t fret too much about this, just sit back and work on it as and when you can. Google around on it.
Exactly. I will wait for things to settle. However, I do thank you for trying to help and have appreciated your patience.

You are welcome. I’m here to help - Try anyway.

Just to clarify.
I checked the spec on your mobo and it list the Graphics as Radeon 3000
But ATI do not list a 3000 only a 3100. Which may mean your on board graphics is not yet supported.

Oh well, you got me. rotfl!

Anyway, per your suggestion, I upgraded the firmware on my Asus M3A76-CM mobo, re-installed ATI driver, and now it looks like the graphics display isn’t sluggish any more, but it still isn’t as fast as it used to be when the system was under OpenSuSE 11.1. I tried the suspenses and they still crash my system. At least, my video graphics isn’t sluggish any more. :slight_smile: