>> Its the amount of crashes I have bumped into that makes me wonder about
>> 4.3, granted its improved a lot in functionality but in terms of
>> stability its got some work to do.
>> But I am hoping for 4.4, hoping it will bring me both stability and
>> functionality.
>>
>>
>
> I hope you don’t mind me asking what may seem a stupid question (or two)
> but how do you know KDE 4.3 is to blame? Also, have you tried starting
> with a fresh .kde4 folder?
>
> The reason I ask is that I’ve recently had crashes and freezes etc. that
> were due to a video-driver problem. Also, in order to isolate the problem,
> I recreated my home user session from scratch and found a couple of minor
> KDE problems had vanished.
>

Sorry, just got to a reply of yours saying you’d started with a new .kde4.
Forget I spoke.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
“I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.”

Can you please explain how you got this to work? I’ve tried accessing my 11.2 box from my 11.1 laptop but just can’t get it to connect.

You can PM me the details so not to take this thread off topic.

I am no expert in vnc.

I tested this on 11.2 GM recently (I also earlier tested during milestone releases) connecting two PCs on our home LAN via vnc.

Both computers running KDE-4.3.1, where one is a 64-bit 11.2 install and the other a 32-bit 11.2 install. And vnc just works. I am not an expert so I can not give you reams of detail.

I’ve posted this approach a couple dozens of times on this forum. I have had users rant back at me that my approach is too much to type all the time, and all I can say in reply is I do note I am not a user who takes pride in minimizing key presses confined to a specific Linux app. That is not now, and never has been the Linux way from what I was taught… One or two extra key presses is not going to kill me. I also learned a long time ago I could put large expressions in a text file that is easily accessable via a destkop icon and copy and paste selected commands into the konsole. Or simply use history from the konsole and copy and paste a command. Or I can create a script file, and even have the script file run from a key sequence. So there are a zillion ways to do things, and no need to groan about a key press here or there. Thats the beauty of Linux.

My apologies for noting that again, but I’m feeling a bit sensitive today about being criticisized recently for my way of doing things (on another thread). :slight_smile:

So all I do is copy and paste the following where computer-a (ip 192.168.2.110) is going to take over the desktop of computer-b (ip 192.168.2.111):
computer-a >** ssh -t -L 5900:localhost:5900 oldercpu@192.168.2.111 'x11vnc -localhost -nolookup -nopw -display :0’

and in a second console , also on computer-a

computer-a > vncviewer -encodings “tightvnc copyrect hextile” localhost:0

where “oldercpu” is an account on computer-b that is running, and thats it.

Now I did NOT spend one second configuring anything, other than to open up my firewall for ssh and for vnc. And I also installed tightvnc and x11vnc. No other config files to configure. For all I know, trying to mess around and configure things could break vnc.

I’ve been using this technique for over 2 ( maybe over 3) years to remotely maintain my mother’s PC a continent away. It worked in openSUSE-10.2 and it worked in openSUSE-10.3, and in 11.0, and in 11.1 and it works now in 11.2.

Enable ssh on the server (Box)
Set up this: http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Public_Key_Authentication_with_SSH
You create that key on your laptop and put a copy in .ssh on the box

Edit your /etc/ssh/sshd_config

login eg:

ssh tpx60@192.168.0.10
or to enable X
ssh -X tpx60@192.168.0.10

The first time you do it accept the host request.

*When I set my key up on my Laptop, I enter a password, so I am asked for this.

Or in Dolphin do:

fish://tpx60@192.168.0.10

Before I forget, note for vnc the way I run it, you should open port #22 (ssh) in your firewall (or what ever ssh port you use) and also port 5900 for vnc.

@oldcpu
I tried your method and it works although the painting of the remote screen is very slow. In comparison to what I was using before when the PC (server) was running XP and I would access it using Rdesktop (rdp) which was very fast. Do you have a sluggish repainting of the remote desktop? I’m accessing over a 100Mb lan.

@Caf
I tried your method too but I don’t get a remote desktop up. I only get the Konsole on the server or the directory and files through Dolphin.
ssh -X tpx60@192.168.0.1 doesn’t seem to do anything for me. Is your method supposed to open a remote desktop window?

In the terminal, once you are in to the box
For example to start Firefox type: firefox

or: thunderbird
and so on

It should start the app on the Box but display it on your Laptop

OK, I see. Thanks.

sluggish ? … hmm … depends on what one is doing.

But it works, Right? So you now have vnc working.

I can’t play HD video over it, if that is what you mean. But over my home 100Mb LAN speed is reasonable.

If I wanted REAL speed, I would use nx instead.

As noted, I use it to connect from Germany to Canada. While I have a high speed internet connection, my mother does not, so complete screen redraws can take a bit of time with her PC. But its fast enough that I can train her.

When I said sluggish I meant for standard screen redraws. It’s just a lot slower than what I was used to using Rdesktop. Yes, VNC works and I can do what I need to get done.

I’ve not used Nx but see there isn’t a 11.2 rpm yet. I’m also waiting for xrpd to be packaged for 11.2.

> Sorry, just got to a reply of yours saying you’d started with a new .kde4.
> Forget I spoke.

Well if you start with a fresh .kde4 and it still acts up…tells me it’s
not likely a KDE problem. Maybe boot into another DE and see if it is still
unstable. If it is I’m thinking driver problems.

The stock KDE 4.3.1 looks pretty & SuSE-fied, but the applications do have crashes. I’ve kept it for now, with view to bug reports.

We need to build a case via bug reports for a general upgrade of the KDE I think. They’re getting some bad reviews, and the KDE team really need to deliver a KDE4 which is solid now. So if you have ways of crashing KDE4 applics, find the bug reports or submit them. Sometimes, original reporters get irrelevant questions asked, so joining a report with an effective “+1” makes it clear there’s a fix needed.

Those who can’t contribute and don’t mind losing the SuSE customisations, probably ought to upgrade to KDE:/43/ Repo.

That’s the impression I’ve had, but after some good review, there were terrible ones on Distro Watch & LWN. Both had some install problems (one had Broadcom WLAN) and then judge the whole effort based on their small samples of 1 or 2 machines.

To me, compared to torid experiences with early 10.3, and 11.1; 11.2 is superising me by it’s deployability. The bugs as they go are mostly cosmetic or work roundable. Some things I’ve not fixed via OBS, so can do better bug reports.

A few reasons: Firstly, I installed on a newly bought hard drive, and installation doesn’t take much time, so I don’t mind doing a clean new install every time. Secondly I had compiled a lot of packages by hand and installed without noting excatly which files got installed where. And third, I got the time :slight_smile:

> The stock KDE 4.3.1 looks pretty & SuSE-fied, but the applications do
> have crashes. I’ve kept it for now, with view to bug reports.

4.3.3 is the way to go. As usual, OpenSuSE releases just on the cusp of the
best KDE release. Simple enough to update though and I believe OpenSuSE has
it’s own kde repo so you don’t lose SuSE specific tweaks.

The biggest thing I’m happy about 11.2 is the fact that the Intel graphics on my girlfriend’s laptop work properly. She bought her laptop with Linux, but hasn’t been able to use any current Linux distros for the past year and a half because of the Intel graphics problem. I loaned her my copy of Vista, but now that video performance in 11.2 is where it should be (and is even faster than under Windows thanks to all of the improvements Intel made that initially broke everything) I’ll finally be able to get my copy of Windows back (which I need for some pretty complicated reasons).

I’m happy with all of the other usual things too (faster, better hardware support, etc). I did run into some inital problems because NetworkManager has once again told me to sit and spin (it likes to do this every other release), and I had a bear of a time getting wicd installed because I didn’t have the DVD. Now that everything works though, I’m loving the redesigned Yast and in particular the new Software Manager.

GofBorg wrote:

>> Sorry, just got to a reply of yours saying you’d started with a new
>> .kde4. Forget I spoke.
>
> Well if you start with a fresh .kde4 and it still acts up…tells me it’s
> not likely a KDE problem. Maybe boot into another DE and see if it is
> still
> unstable. If it is I’m thinking driver problems.

I’d go along with that. When I was having problems in RC1, I installed Gnome
and found I was having similar problems there. I was already pretty sure the
default RadeonHD driver was the culprit but I wanted more evidence for the
bug report.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
“I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.”

I installed 11.2 on a PC/desktop overwritting one that was 11.1/KDE-3.5.10 before (keeping the /home) where the /home from that 3.5.10 desktop on openSUSE-11.1 had traced directly to a KDE-3.5.9 on opensUSE-11.0. While running openSUSE-11.0 , the desktop had also mistakenly been booted to KDE-4.0.4 a couple of times (where 4.0.4 came with openSUSE-11.0).

Well the KDE-4.3.1 on openSUSE-11.2 (using the /home that traced back to openSUSE-11.0 with KDE-4.0.4) had some seriously unstable and nasty artifacts.

So I got rid of that old /home/username and then KDE-4.3.1 was fine with the replaced /home/username.

Hence clearly the problem on a FRESH KDE-4.3.1 install was the files from /home originating in an old 4.0.4 had messed up settings that impacted 4.3.1.

have you tried using compression with ssh ?