OpenSUSE 11.2 shows black screen while booting every 5th time

Hi,

I’m using OpenSUSE 11.2 64 bit. Sometimes boot fails and I get a black screen. It starts quite normal, but when it tries to start X and KDE, it fails and I only see a black screen. I can’t switch to terminal and I can not reboot my computer by pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del”. It doesn’t even shutdown by pressing the power-button. The only possibility is to switch off the computer. Then it normally starts.

The problem also occures with a clean installation of OpenSuse.
And it cannot be solved by updating kernel, X-Server and KDE.

I would be glad if somebody could give me a hint (or even better: a solution) what to do.

What files do you need? I’ll post them.

The same computer worked fine with OpenSUSE 11.1. I think, the new radeon driver could be the problem, I have to use it because I can not use fglrx anymore as with 11.1

I take a look into my log-files, but I cannot see any error. Sometimes it seems, that /var/log/messages is partly overwritten by restarting the machine.

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Device 5a31 (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 83)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller (rev 80)
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)
02:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b4)
02:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 18)
02:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 09)
02:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 04)
02:09.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

uname -a:

Linux notebook 2.6.33-24-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-02-25 20:06:12 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Stefan

I saw something like this on my old Sandbox PC with openSUSE-11.2 gnome and the proprietary nVidia driver. I did not see it with KDE3 (on 11.1) nor KDE4 (on 11.1) nor KDE4 (on 11.2) , nor have I seen it with LXDE on openSUSE-11.3 milestone-3. Gnome had its own separate partition, so its not as if there were other desktop files causing a problem. Hence in my case I figure it was Gnome specific (or specific to that install where the desktop happened to be Gnome), and it only happened randomly. I could not determine a cause and effect, other than I only saw it occasionally when booting to Gnome.

PC specs were: 32-bit AMD Athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM (MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard) w/AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics [age of motherobard about 9-years]

Unfortunately when I had the problem, <CTRL><ALT><Fx> would not give me another full screen text mode to assist in analysis. I truely had a freeze on that PC (sort of like what you are seeing).

Now your KDE problem is likely different than what I saw.

BUT, in hindsight what I should have done (and I did not) was examine the logs after such a case. ie after such a failure, reboot with a liveCD (so as to not write to the hard drive) and then with the liveCD access the PC’s / drive (not the liveCD / ) and access the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, and also the /var/log/message file and check for problems that may have been recorded microseconds before the freeze, and copy those files to a USB stick and use that to support any bug report.

Hindsight is always 20-20. :\

Indeed, and with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, what is needed (I think) is to reboot with a liveCD so as not to affect the log files.

Hi,

so I rebooted and it (fortunately?) freezed. I started from USB and copied the whole log directory to another usb-drive.

I put the log files here:

Log1

First attemp was to disable EDD, but it did not help. It crashed again:

Log2

I saw an error in kdm.log: X.org failed to load fglrx. Ok, I it is not installed. It tries to load it, as I don’t use Xorg.conf. To avoid this, I created an Xorg.conf.

But it didn’t help again. Sometimes it works and sometimes it still freezes while booting: (But it doesn’t try to load fglrx anymore)

Log3

Xorg.0.log is always empty after a crash, other log files are obviously corrupted. (kdm.log in log1.tar.gz contains a modprobe warning ;-))

Is there any possibility, to avoid corrupted log files? Would it to run fsck first?

Thank you for your help.

Stefan

rapid share. Uucck…

I hate that site and I will not spend the time waiting for a rapid share download. I have better things to do. Sorry.

I refuse to download files from Rapid Share, so someone OTHER than myself will need follow this up.

To help someone else, you may wish to consider using a pastebin site such as PasteBin.be ? Are the files too big for that ?

Good luck.

Hi,

I put the files to dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5360679/logs1.tar.gz

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5360679/logs2.tar.gz

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5360679/log3.tar.gz

Drop box does not help me. A lot of the time (during lunch break or coffee break) I am at the office with no access to a Linux PC. Hence tar.gz files are useless to me on a Windoze PC, and only of use when I get home and have access to a Linux PC.

so someone else will need to reply to this thread because I can not because of the web site used.

oldcpu wrote:
> … so someone else will need to reply to this thread because I can
> not because of the web site used.

thanks for the offer…but, since you told him to “check
for problems that may have been recorded microseconds before the
freeze” and, so far only he knows WHEN those microseconds occurred,
i’m not gonna wade through (probably) several days of log files…

especially not since the OP noted: “Xorg.0.log is always empty after a
crash, other log files are obviously corrupted.”

but, thanks for the offer.

instead i think i wanna ask:

1. did this start immediately after installing 11.2, or some
    days/weeks later?

if it started later then please post the results back to here, of:

zypper lr -d

1. did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso?
  2. burn the disk as slow as you can?
  3. use good media?
  4. do this http://tinyurl.com/yajm2aq before install attempt?

if you answered “no” (or “don’t know”) to any of 2 - 5 then see the
following cites, and if we can help further, please ask because we
want you to be successful:
http://en.opensuse.org/Download_Help
http://tinyurl.com/yhf65pv
http://tinyurl.com/ycly3eg

palladium

may have been recorded microseconds before the
freeze" and, so far only he knows WHEN those microseconds occurred,
i’m not gonna wade through (probably) several days of log files…

Its quite easy to find the microseconds before: these are the lines at the end of every file :wink: I copied theme with a live-system. They are unchanged after each crash.

1. did this start immediately after installing 11.2, or some
    days/weeks later?

I think, it was first start after updating from 11.1 to 11.2, when it came up :wink:

So, no install-media to check.

After a few weeks it tried another distro with no sucess. So I installed OpenSUSE 11.2 again. I used net-install.

So, again no media to check.

i’m stumped…you win…

though i suspect it might be possible to boot from a known good DVD
and select “Repair Installed System”…

palladium

i’m stumped…you win…

However, thankyou for your attempt! If you would like another interesting bug to solve, just write a short comment :wink:

1. use good media?

I think, we can agree to a draw :wink:

My harddisk has some badblocks. It seems, that some log files of the X-server are arranged in this region. The kernel tried again and again to access. So it looked like a freeze.

I’am not sure if this was the only one problem. But it looks quite well at the moment.

Linux will attempt to read or write to a bad block until it succeeds or the end of time which ever comes first.

Yeah, I now. And that could take quite a long time, if it tries again and again to write a log file