openSUSE 11.2 schedule (discussion)

I don’t know, maybe there is something hugely wrong with my computer, because I very rarely have any problems with openSuse. I guess I should buy a new buggy computer :wink:

I tend to think people expect software to be released without any bugs, which is impossible to do.

The release schedule looks good. I’m not a fan of releasing so close to xmas, like this release did.

While not much is going on at work today on the 31st (I wonder why?? :)), I’ll bring up my 2 cents.

Of course a software or OS without bugs is almost impossible (though Amarok 1.4 nearly achieved that), but considering the fact we get 2 releases per year and that Micro$oft does 1 release per 5 years (for which people want to stick with the old version!!) with a bunch of bugs, who do you think is best? :slight_smile:

Also us we can often work around bugs, sometimes we might need deep gurus to help us find a solution (tnx to everyone here and on LQ), but often we can do something about it, whereas with that multi-billion dollar OS if there is a bug, you either live with it or re-install the OS 10 times until it decides to go over it (and bug somewhere else).

Personally I think KDE4 is still new stuff and with new stuff you always need time to stabilize things. Devs fixed all of the bugs I have reported since 10.3 and sometimes very quickly. It’s up to us to file all the other ones for 11.2 and make it better than 11.1. :slight_smile: Also are there more bugs in 11.1 KDE3.5 than 11.0 KDE3.5?

Personally I have never had a problem with microsoft. Typically their problems are fixed with single patches, where with things such as KDE when they fix a problem you have to download most of the packages again. Very annoying.

I’ve also heard people bloat on about with microsoft you have to reinstall every year. Never had to do that either, but it seems with linux I have reinstalled more than i ever have with windows.

reinstall 10 times until it goes over it, yeah, ummm, about real facts not ones you invent

I have two Gentoo systems that are 5 years old and have never
been re-installed. They are both x86_64 systems and are current
running 2.6.28 kernels and Gnome-2.24 2. My SUSE system has gone
from the beta to I guess the alpha version. I don’t like to
reinstall systems.
Edit: At some point I will try to upgrade the 11.0 system I have,
if it works great, if not I’ll can it.

When I install openSUSE Linux, typically its setup 90% the way I want within a couple of hours of starting. The remaining 10% is sorted over the next week or so, as I find new features or things that I miss.

When my wife installs Windows (and she is pretty good at it, compared to me), we are looking at a 2 or 3 night affair (with about 4 hours / night). The first night is just getting the OS up and running, with the various custom drivers and the essential anti-malware applications. The second night is her custom office applications. The 3rd night is the remaining applications. That gets her up to 90% and the next week or so is the remaining 10%.

Comparing the time for the two, there is like 2 hours (Linux) vis 12 hours (Windows) to achieve the same.

… and having said that, typically she re-installs windows more than I re-install Linux (not counting my Test PC where I test various Linux distros and Linux distro versions).

I think usually most people need to reinstall windows often, but I agree some can be lucky and that’s good for them. I never reinstalled 10 times, but 5 or 6 to get a wireless driver working, that I had to do. Every time windows was not behaving exactly the same as the previous installation, which caused me slight issues elsewhere, which required another fresh install. Ok, happened only once, I admit. Windows has good sides, but not for me.

I personally had issues with windows growing over months and getting slower and slower, though I was crazy to clean up the system as often as twice a week, trying to tweak every function and registry entry. Still slowing and growing.

With Linux I can target a precise partition size for root, maximizing disk space for other partitions and reducing backup time (I use dd for a full byte to byte backup), put my tmp on another and home on another and I end up with a totally stable system using the same size 1 year later and booting/shutting down as quick as a year before. It’s also easier on applications, no registry or hidden things like that and pretty much everything is editable for even more customization or adaptation to particular situation, not to mention all the widgets and python-like applications people are creating. And of course the scripts. Without these, my system would be less reliable and less solid. :slight_smile:

Those who can use windows without a flaw and reinstalling and don’t need customization are lucky and should keep windows. I still prefer linux to that.

And I look forward for 11.2 (and KDE4.3), hoping the longer release time will fix more bugs.

Pretty much the same here, I am slowly moving some of the applications
I normally build locally off onto the build service (bluetooth, barry,
claws-mail). It’s a bit more effort initially but when an upgrade comes
around I can probably be at about 95%. The other thing I have done now
is just make a data partition and then in my user directory create
softlinks to my mail, crossover (for garmin mapsource and office 2003),
when I finally get around to upgrade from 11.1 RC1 I should be good to
go :slight_smile:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel
up 20:29, 1 user, load average: 1.10, 1.07, 1.08
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

I’m happy with this extended time frame. Lots of new features are planned for the kernel, sound systems, KDE 4.3, Xorg and YaST that I can’t help but feel a delay in release would help test this apps really good and put out the best release of a linux distro yet.

I think 11.2 should continue to include KDE3.

True, but there are limits. KDE 4 has been very unstable on my PC (it does not remember its layout after logout), adding plasmoids through the interface over the internet has proved impossible. When installing to my desktop it needs a lot of coaxing to boot into X. Not acceptable for a final release IMO.

Yea… KDE 4 is buggy, however, because ‘stable’ is still buggy, you should put unstable repositories. It proved to be more stable then ‘stable’ when you update frequently, as bugs are getting fixed along the way.

Hi, in my opinion it is OK to discuss a time frame - but the content is (Kernel, KDE,…) is most important to me.
Does someone know when 2.6.28 is scheduled?

It’s already @ -git6 The Linux Kernel Archives

I’ll bet that the Novell/SuSE kernel team is working on it;)
Index of /pub/projects/kernel/kotd/v2.6.28-staging/x86_64

When it move to “head”, those on the cutting edge can start playing with it; or, one could take the vanilla kernel from now (less all the SuSE patches) and play around.

I’d surely recommend a separate install;)

“Happy v2.6.28” Happy v2.6.28 []

I bring you a tiding of great cheer: you
can now download Linux-2.6.28, and compile it to your hearts content!

I am already using 2.6.28. Works flawlessly. I just had to switch off APM as it gets in conflict with ACPI.

Surely hope SLES & SLED 11 will be shipped with the 2.6.28 kernel. there are a couple of extra options in there that are quite worthwhile… like EXT4, USB wireless support, new drivers, expected video performance enhancements…

Now they can probably backport many options into a customized 2.2.27 kernel… but that would seem limiting and more work in the end.

Curious to see how the 2.6.28 will be doing though!

Is there already a repo setup for it? …or did you compile it?

I did that, and it did get better for a bit.
Then it got far worse.

I’m so pleased with openSUSE 11.1 that I’m surprised you guys are thinking about 11.2.

I do think waiting until KDE 4.3 is out would be a good idea. Hopefully it’ll come with KOffice 2.0 and maybe Firefox 3.1?