OpenSUSE 11.2 I586. Will it work on Pentium D?

I am downloading OpenSUSE 11.2 i586. However, I don’t know if it’ll work on Pentium D.
Kindly help me.

If you download the live cd first, you can boot it and see how it is. It will give you an idea anyway.

Are you worried your processor is too new or that 11.2 it will only work on 586 processors? Compatibility is upwards so newer processors can execute older instruction sets. The Pentium D is not only x86_64 from a glance but also i686.

Thanks
Actually I didn’t know what generation Pentuium D belongs to. Now I know that it can run i586.

You only had to google pentium d and you would have found the wikipedia entry.

ken yap wrote:
> You only had to google pentium d and you would have found the wikipedia
> entry.

really? what is this verb “google” i can’t find it in my menu…

and, btw i hate to hijack the thread but can you tell me how to turn
up the bells/whistles, change the wall paper to the blinking kind and
select an inexpensive, color, dot-matrix printer…

sigh

palladium

With or without the floppy disk drive? lol!

One REALLY neat thing about openSUSE-11.2 is the larger number of liveCDs that are available. This is ESPECIALLY true for older PCs.

To the best of my knowledge, one can now get for openSUSE-11.2:

On really old PCs, one can also install from a text mode (saving memory during the install) and after the text mode install is done the PC will boot to a graphical X window. To install via the text mode, boot to the liveCD and press F3 when the 1st boot/splash menu appears. Select “text”. This will boot to a full screen login. Login as user “linux” (no quotes) with <enter> as password (except for SOAD liveCD which requires “soad” (no quotes) as password). Then type “su” (no quotes) with <enter> as password (except for SOAD liveCD which requires “soad” (no quotes) as password). Then type “yast” and navigate to “miscellaneous” and select the installation from there. One is given lots of menus from then on to help the installation. Note one navigates in “yast” with the tab, spacebar and arrow keys.

Here is the wiki with the above and more information: Derivatives - openSUSE

ken yap wrote:
> With or without the floppy disk drive? lol!

can i get one of those 8 inch drives for my CPT, please…

palladium

Do you also want some home made floppies to go with it? I’ve resorted to spraying iron paint on plastic sheets and cutting out circular discs. It’s amazing what you can do with a well-equipped workshop. Why the other day I just realigned my disk drive with nothing more than a feeler gauge. lol!