Opensuse 11.2 close session when I play any avi or wmv video with any video player

Greetings,

I have a desktop with motherboard ASrock G31M-S, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.8Ghz processor, 2GB RAM DDR2, DVDRW ATAIDE, 160GB HDD SATA2 and memory reader with opensuse 11.2 ipdated to date.

The problem only problem I¡m having right now is that when I play any video .avi or .wmv with any video player (I’ve tried with VLC, Kaffeine even Amarok) the system closes my session and when I log in with my password all windows en applications are closed.

I tried uninstalling VLC and reinstalling it, but it gave the same problem.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,

By the way fellows,

I forgot to mention that another weird problem I’m experiencing is that VLC doesn’t play music. For that I have to use Amarok or Kaffeine, which actually is ok for me (I actually love amarok for playing music) but I thought it would be good for you to know in order to identify where the problem is.

If I need to add more information about my system or something please let me know.

I really apprecciate your time and any help you could give me.

Thanks again in advance.

Greetings,

Hi again,

I still have the same problem, I even try playing a DVD and the session closed again.

I looked at the system information and I realized that the video driver is considered unknown by the system. I imagine that could be the problem, but I don’t know how to add a more appropiate driver since the video output I’m using is integrated with the motherboard (ASrock G31M-S, with onboard Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100).

Am I obligated to buy a graphic card in order to fix the problem?

Any suggestions or thoughts will very deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Does the problem happen when you try the VESA driver?

Some general practical theory of Intel graphic cards: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

Also take a look at this thinkwiki page for the X3100 graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - ThinkWiki

They suggest booting with a boot code ‘nomodeset’

Thank a lot for your reply oldcpu,

Reading the links you posted I could find out that I was using the video driver i810, so I tried changing the driver to “intel” following the instructions detailed in the guide (pretty good guide, thanks a lot). However, after I change the driver to intel in run level 3 with the code sax2 -r -m 0=intel, a screen appeared saying that if the configuration was OK just click OK, if not click on change configuration. I assumed it was ok so I clicked OK and restarted.

Then, I tried to play a video again and the session and any other application closed. I had to log in with my password again and once again I wasn’t able to play any video.

What I’m going to do now is to try the iegd propietary driver form Intel. I downloaded a Fedora version (because there wasn’t any for SUSE) and I’ll see what happens with this one. Here is the link Intel® Embedded Design Center - Intel® Embedded Graphics Drivers (IEGD)

Thanks a lot for the info, it was really instrutive.

I don’t recommend using a Fedora iegd packaged version. Do a search on openSUSE build service:
software.opensuse.org: Search Results : iegd openSUS-11.2
… and you will find this has been packged for openSUSE-11.2 by some users.

Thanks a lot again fellow, you are great!

I’ll try that one and tell you what happend.

Just to be sure, if I click the iegd Kernel Module Package of Poulsbo GPU driver 1- Click Install, it obviously should install it, but does it automatically configure it as my default video driver? If not, should I use the same code “sax2 -r -m 0=iegd” in this case?

Thanks again oldcpu.

Best regards,

I have never installed this package, so I don’t know.

I suspect it will not automatically configure the xorg.conf file, and you may need to do it manually.

Before running sax2, backup your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

You could also (before running sax2) try a simple hand edit to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, changing the enter for the driver being “intel” to “iegd”. And then see if X will run with that simple edit.

Note sax2 has been depreciated, and while it is provided in openSUSE-11.2, it does not function well with a lot of hardware. As of openSUSE-11.3 it is no longer provided in openSUSE.

Hi Again,

I finally solved the problem I experienced. It happended to be related with the kernel, because when updating to the latest linux kernel (which I did using opensuse 11.3 and ubuntu 10.10) automaticaly configured the video driver as ¡910. Which works just fine with my computer, I can even use the desktop effects.

Thanks a lot for all your help oldcpu. I learned I lot from you.

Best regards,