OpenSUSE 11.2 between rock and a hard place.

Hi,

I have a MSI Wind 100 with the infamous Ralink rt2860sta driver…
I recently upgraded from OpenSUSE 11.1 to 11.2.
But I have the following issue:
If I use kernel-default 2.6.31.5 (the standard kernel) WiFi works but USB does not.
If I upgrade to kernel 2.6.31.8 I get a kernel panic described here https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=540589
If I upgrade to the most recent kernel 2.6.31.12 USB works and WiFi works about 10% of the time…
If it doesn’t work the only way to get it to work (sometimes) is a complete reboot even restarting and reloading the module doesn’t work.

So I am back at the oldest kernel, but USB isn’t working and therefore the build-in webcam and SD card slot aren’t working either. I can see the USB components if I lsusb -v. Dmesg doesn’t show anything and neither does /var/log/messages when I plug something in.

So the question is how do I get USB working correctly on the old kernel or better get WiFi working reliably in the newest kernel :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Hein

Have you looked here
HCL/Laptops/MSI - openSUSE

Hi, I hadn’t. Thanks for the link, but:
11.2 isn’t listed, does that mean it doesn’t work or it just hasn’t been tested?
Because there should be a way to get it to work.
in the old kernel the Wifi works OK and in the newest the USB works…

Decide on one or the other, which is more important to you.
Maybe the wireless will be easier to work around, even if you have to use ndiswrapper