openSUSE 11.2 Alpha 0 (x86_64)

OK all you bleeding edge Susers; it’s up as of 11 & 12 Jan @ Index of /factory/iso

What you get there is a Factory net-install iso. I got the latest build (#20)

I burnt it using K3B: installed it using the default url (download.opensuse.org) – did a minimal KDE4 install on a separate set of test partitions:
System: openSUSE 11.2 Alpha 0 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) “release 5.1”

The install was flawless:)

I am in the process of adding all the patterns & getting all my repos set. I will have to add a couple 11.1 repos on a temp basis to pickup a few rpms like flash, Packman stuff, etc.

So far, I am really impressed; the Devs have done an excellent job – everything so far works to the extent I will say “faultless with what I have tried”. What a great starting point!

Next is the KDE4 repos & get them updated.

For the new guys – Warning, things will change as the Devs start updating everything on about 5 FEB; things will break. That’s where we come in to assist – by getting the bug reports in;)

Smooth install of 32 bit. I kept losing the link to the rpms during install. That’s almost sure to be an issue with my link from Oz, but I mention it in case others do too.

swerdna wrote:

>
> Smooth install of 32 bit. I kept losing the link to the rpms during
> install. That’s almost sure to be an issue with my link from Oz, but I
> mention it in case others do too.
>
>

Not just Oz. I’ve had the same trouble here during the past year or two.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

I’m running the same thing (x86_64) but I have just been upgrading since the 11.1 beta.
No problems.

I just installed 11.2 alpha 0
only problems were when my cable modem lost connection with the outside I think three times just started testing but don’t expect anything
major until February and I’m hoping to see kde 4.2 soon also kernel
2.6.28is listed as stable on the linux kernel site so

The x86_64 live cds are out for 11.2 alpha 0
Index of /factory/iso

Currently, the NET ISO is up to build 40 (both x86 and x86_64). Surprisingly, except for some configuration teething issues (I have submitted a bug report on those), this build is actually downright usable as a static (no updates) build (I’m running the x86_64 version, installed via the Internet). Other than my TV tuner card and Webcam (both of which have issues with openSuSE in general), everything works as it should post-install (in fact, the graphics and audio work better in this version of openSuSE than they do in 11.1 GM; in a word, ouch; what’s all the stranger as far as the audio goes is that I have to compile the driver myself, in both cases, from IHV-provided source, which tells you I’m referring to Creative’s X-Fi driver). The graphics driver? The only change I had to make (expected) is to the monitor settings (SaX2 actually got the graphics card detected and configured right for the first time since 11.1 beta 2).

And no, I’m not using the proprietary ATI graphics driver (I’m using the included open-source “radeonhd” driver, which appears to be behaving itself with compiz-fusion active, which is the default).

Hi PGHammer;

I hope any perceived sense of interrupting a thread can be forgiven;

we have been offered a Creative X-Fi sound card; I understand the driver issue is not straightforward; I noticed you said

what’s all the stranger as far as the audio goes is that I have to compile the driver myself, in both cases, from IHV-provided source, which tells you I’m referring to Creative’s X-Fi driver).

Would you be able to enlighten us on what driver you use please, and any guidance on compiling

much appreciated if you are able to help