OpenSUSE 11.1 will not recognize vfat filesystems

I have recently installed OpenSUSE 11.1 and I have been using it for about a month. My finace was trying to upload pictures from her camera and though it recognized that something was plugged in and what type of filesystem it was it will not read it. After that it wouldn’t even recognize that something was plugged in. At first I thought it was just her camera, but I am having the same problem.

Here is the error message when you try to access the camera: An error occurred while accessing ‘Volume (vfat)’, the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType: Unknown file system type ‘vfat’.

I have never had this problem on linux before, and it also affects the virtual machines I have. I need to upload pictures to my computer for various things so any helps would greatly be appreciated!

Make sure 11.1 is updated!

When you plug the device in, open Dolphin and open the device in there.

Everything is updated, and I have tried to open it in Dolphin, that is where I got the error message.

O.K… I just got the card reader I ordered today and apparently that makes it work. I don’t really understand why it wouldn’t work with the camera, but I guess it doesn’t matter too much now. I would still like to get it to work without the card reader just in case I don’t have it sometime.

Have you configured your Camera in Digikam?

+1 for digikam or gphoto

Modern digicams work better with PTP rather than mounted as storage anyway.

FYI. In 11.0 my camera (C743 Kodak) worked no problem but it had to be configured. In 11.1 I was amazed, I just plugged it in with Digikam open and viola, all working. :wink:

I see no issues with vfat here, I have a sansa clip that has vfat

O.K. I will try those programs later. Thanks!