openSUSE 11.1 : Upcoming redesign plans for the partitioning

There is an interesting page on redesign plans for the partitioning module… find it here:

UX/Partitioner - openSUSE

Those wanting to add input could drop a line in opensuse-factory mailing list!

Requirements

* needs to be suitable for sophisticated IT environments
* integration of basic partitioning and LVM
* must work in text mode
* modular 

[edit]
Conclusions

* Non-experienced users like Anne
      o should be fine with auto-partitioning 
* Little-experienced users like Christian
      o should be able to deal with the basic partitioning 
* Experienced users like Ihno
      o should be able to do all kinds of partitioning and LVM stuff 

Cheers,
Wj

Umm. I like it the way it is!!

The aim is also to make it more accesable to new users AND give the power user even more options to tinker with Don’t think they are aiming to change the UI completely :wink:

As the page covers the UI you should also be able to post comments regarding technical points in the factory mailing list.

ps. there is also a Mokup (at the end of the page) giving examples of what direction they are thinking in…

Based on some minor problems I’ve had in the past and some other threads, developers should consider a checkbox to mount a partition writable for all users.

Looks similar to another distro I was tinkering with recently in VBox, so many I can’t remember.

I’m not convinced it will solve many of the issues facing New users, ex M$ folk. They need it idiot proof. (Without prejudice.) But that is what they are use to.

One or two may find it helpful though.

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 12:16 +0000, caf4926 wrote:
> Umm. I like it the way it is!!
>
>

I agree. Seems like there are a lot more things that
are “broken”. The new proposed yast looks very
complicated and counter intuitive. I guess we’re
finally competing with Windows (??).

More of the ~ there are to many options, we must remove options and advanced configurations because people are idiots mantra.

The gnome people are idiots mentality is creeping into everything lately and I don’t like it.

brucecadieux wrote:

>
> More of the ~ there are to many options, we must remove options and
> advanced configurations because people are idiots mantra.
>
> The gnome people are idiots mentality is creeping into everything
> lately and I don’t like it.
>
>

{Chuckle} I agree whole-heartedly!

And I’m probably going to hell due to one (or more) of my reply posts
today… (gotta love ALT keys!!)

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

I must say, if you can do something with the boot loader placement, that would be nice.

I never quite understand exactly where it’s going to put the darn thing.

Ok, I’m older and really can’t be bothered reading through pages and pages of guff on the Internet to explain exactly where it is going to be placed, and if I did I would forget 2 minutes later!!!

So please make it glaringly obvious to old farts like me.

I don’t have any problems with anything else, just the grub placement.

Thankyou :).

What was wrong with the previous auto options we had?
(i.e. Yast recommended something based on whether we selected ‘resize windows partition’,‘use all space’ or ‘advanced paritioning’?

I’d second that. A while ago I had to fiddle around with a system that was stalling upon boot, and although the YaST Boot Loader module has plenty of settings and is far more useful than tools you might get in some other distros, the many options for the placement of GRUB didn’t make an awful lot of sense.

It would be cool if some kind of graphical visualization could be incorporated to better demonstrate how placing GRUB in the MBR / extended partition container / etc. actually works, and which shows the processes of GRUB Stage 1 / 2. Of course, this should only come under some advanced config dialogue since it would be too much info for most.

Hi All,

Please remember your comments won’t be monitored here…
If you want to bring in you input the best place to give it a start is in the factory mailing list!

Cheers,
Wj