OpenSUSE 11.1 problems with dual-head / xinerama

Hi!
just installed OpenSUSE 11.1 on my IBM Thinkpad R51.
I want to use an CRT Monitor in addition to the Laptop’s LCD in Xinerama dual-head mode.
The laptop’s graphiccard is an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32MB (RV 250), installed with the OpenSource-driver Mesa Project (2.1 Mesa 7.2)delivered by the OpenSUSE 11.1 default installation.
Since there is not an specific ATI driver for my graphic card model, I have read in some other forums that this driver is the best or only one.
My problem is the Xinerama Mode doesnt work.
Although I have enabled this mode in yast/sax
the card uses the clone mode.

With my old SuSE (10.0) Xinermara has worked perfect.

Thanks for any help.

I have an nVidia card and had to “mod” and .inf file on the installer for the laptop version of my video card - it may come down to that. The drivers are all the same (more or less) but there isn’t a laptop entry in the .inf file it won’t istall on your laptop.
[INFO] What is a modded INF? What is the Performance and Quality INF? - nVision](http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8128)
Maybe you can find modded files for your laptop video card and use the ATI driver?

Have you had any luck with this? I am having exactly the same problem with an external LCD plugged into a Compaq laptop with an Intel 855GM card - no matter what I try, it simply clones the screen at 1024x768.

I always recommend XRandR - it works perfectly for me (1280800 laptop+16001200 VGA-monitor).
You have Intel card, so I think it has XRandR capabilities.

I don’t know about ATI, but with open drivers think it is supported too.

Multiple Screens Using XRandR - openSUSE