OpenSuse 11.1/Intel 965 GM/Google Earth problem

Hello,

I think I either have a problem with the Intel driver or maybe with the Mesa3d library or … something else maybe. My configuration is as follows:
Intel 965 GM
OpenSuse 11.1
KDE4
Driver: 1.4 Mesa 7.2 DRI

First of all, I can clearly notice a strange behavior of all OpenGL screensavers, as well in some apps using OpenGL(like Space Simulator). Second, I tried to install Google Earth - it freezed my laptop during the start, after trying to visualize the picture of the Earth. Third, I added

Option “AccelMethod” “exa”
Option “MigrationHeuristic” “greedy”
Option “ExaNoComposite” “false”

within my xorg.conf - it helped, so now Google Earth doesn’t lock my whole system but continues to run. Unfortunately at least 80% of the textures are either blank or black!!! Every piece using OpenGL looks scrambled. The icons within the Suse TRAY disappeared. I think it’s something with the Mesa and DRI, since everything worked fine with OpenSuse 10.3, please help!!!

Hi,

I have a laptop with the graphic adapter Intel GM 965. I used to have my graphic problems solved when I used to use Mesa drivers from Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.1 with the first kernel version of openSUSE 11.1 64 bits.

Yesterday I updated my kernel to 2.6.27.19-3.2-default and Mesa drivers for 7.3. Now, every application that needs 3D acceleration make my system freeze! :’(

Then, if you have some 3D applications working fine, and want them continue in this way, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR KERNEL! It does not work with the Mesa driver from openSUSE 11.1 dvd either!

I think theses problemas are caused by Mesa drivers intabilities. Unfortunately I have not found discutions about these new Mesa driver and Kernel in the internet. I am really sad because this! I used to have my video working pretty well in openSUSE 11.0, but I could not have my wireless card recognized. Now every thing work fine, but I have these problems in video, and, I also think, that problems that I have in suspend to RAM and disk are also caused by the instability in these drivers.

Well I think we have to wait for stable drivers! :
Any way, good luck!

Actually when using a Intel GM45 card, you have to make a decisions, If you use the original XOrg rpm files included in the installation media or OSS repo, it gives you ability to view video and some non 3D games, but you can’t use 3D apps or it will crash, and using the XOrg repo, gives you the ability to play 3D games and use 3D apps, but you can’t view some video extensions, and also while monitoring the CPU temp, it increases to 70°C or more.

I’m performing some tests to see if there is a way to see videos and be able to use 3D apps using the XOrg repo.

I also experience the same problem with xorg repo recently. But now with the latest on-line update on March 17, 2009 I think it is back to normal again with Intel GM45 :). Well, to run the Google Earth I should disable the desktop effect (kwin), but it also happens before.

What I did is just revert back all xorg component to oss version and do the on-line update. I explain it on my blog http://medwinz.blogsome.com/2009/03/18/xorg-update-for-opensuse-111-it-works-on-intel-gm45/