Opensuse 11.1 Graphics problem

Hi,
I have a Dell XPS 1530 with an Nvidia 8600M GT, on default the Distro installs the graphics driver. the 3d effects are not enabling.
I tried downloading the driver from the Nvidia site, then logged out did a remote login and from the Konsole tried to install the driver as SU.

I used sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86 180.22.pkg1.run, the installation starts but ends prematurely without updating the driver.

Can someone please tell me how to getn the COMPIZ up and running???

Another problem i encountered was the fact that my entire MBR got corrupted!!! any guesses on that one ???

Hi,

Have you tried to add the Nvidia repository via Yast? Try do this and then go in online update in Yast after you add the repository and, although the update window shows no packages to updated, click on accept.

I work in computer with a GeForce graphic adapter and the DVD installation of OpenSuse 11.1 64 bits did not work for this adapter. I then did all this above and the video is working fine now. I have desktop effects working with Kwin and I can play 3D games, as AssaultCube.

I hope have helped. Bye.

How many GB of RAM do you have?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that is constantly losing its mbr. I’ve heard its something to do with newer kernels. I tried several distros, none have worked properly. Luckily, I do not need this laptop, so my solution is simply to put it on the shelf for six months and try again. Hopefully you can find a better solution for yourself. As for your video issues, you should post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I pretty sure the default install would have put an opensource video driver in there. In order to have 3d effects, you’ll need to use the proprietory driver. The easiest way is to do like ednso said and add the nVidia repo, but you might have troubles due to your failed attempt at installing the driver. If so, just post your woes and be patient. Best of luck to you.