Opensuse 11.1 Crash

I have a commerical CFD (Computaitional Fluid Dynamics) code installed on a server that has 16 Gb of memory and uses 2 X quad core xeon processors. When I run the program using all 8 cores opensuse crashes, basically the screen freezes and I have to restart the machine. How can I diagnose this problem? I think its a memory issue, do you guys recommend a memtest. I’m sorry this may not be the right forum to put this thread in.

Thanks.

There are specialist boot cd’s for these purposes. Eg;
Ultimate Boot CD: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

sherifkadry wrote:
> 16 Gb of memory and uses 2 X quad core xeon processors

hmmmm…that is not your typical home user setup, huh?

i wonder what operating system was on the machine when delivered? or,
if you opted to replace it with openSUSE 11.1, and why?

my reason for asking is that openSUSE is the sandbox where Novell lets
users bash away bugs for xx months and then releases a commercial
quality SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) every few years…

SLES 11 is on the street and is, in my most humble opinion, a better
fit with your hardware and work (it is a work related ‘production’
machine, right?)

i think it is useful to think of the relationship as: openSUSE is the
testing ground for SLES…and, SLES subscriptions comes with support
from Novell, and forums populated with others supporting commercial
use of the ready-for-work-use software…

additionally, the useful life (supported with patches and security
updates) of SLES 11 is much greater than 11.1 which will go
unsupported in about 13 months…compare:
<http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Linux_Lifetime>
<http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/>

here (forums.opensuse.org) is populated by volunteers helping folks
(most often folks trying to transition from other less capable/safe
systems) on their personal and home network server machines…

that said: if you hang on here i guess someone with a lot more
commercial experience than me can, and will, help…


palladium
Have a lot of fun…

one other thing…i think i remember that 11.1 was born with a freeze
problem which went away with a kernel update…is yours a fresh
install? and if so have you applied all patches?

oh, and when you say “screen freeze” you are not using KDE4.1 are you?

if so then you need to move on to a less (but still) buggy KDE4.2 (at
least)…but, i recommend either KDE3 or Gnome if you must run X
windowing on a ‘server’…

and, i’d not so quickly jump to the “bad memory” conclusion…like,
depending on how you set up your 11.1 yours might just be needing to
reset your screen/session locks…or killing beagle…or setting your
crons for a different time…

btw, when you say “crash” in the subject and “screen freeze” in the
posting doesn’t tell us much as you can easily have a screen freeze
and it not be a system crash…

when you have a “screen freeze” are any of the keyboard LEDs flashing?
can you Ctrl+Alt+F2 to a terminal, log in and run top?

if not initially, what if you wait 10 minutes, does the keyboard then
allow Ctrl+Alt+F2


palladium
Have a lot of fun…

Palladium, thanks for the response. A year ago when we were purchasing the machine, my department’s (I work at a university) IT guy set it up and purchased it from a local retailer without an OS. He opted for Opensuse 11 at the time. I was surprised, but then again the department is cheap; I thought they’d have a licensed copy of Redhat or Suse enterprise you mention. So I lived with that; I was a debian person myself so I opted for GNOME so I dont think it was due to KDE.
Opensuse 11.1 is update as far as I know with the latest kernel.

My apologies for the lacklustre description; in occasions the screen freezes and I still see the X windows environment, mouse does not move, no response to Alt-Ctrl Backspace, no response to any key pressed. On other occasions the screen just goes dark, there is no output to the monitor.

This usually happens when I run with all 8 cores, I suspect its either a memory issue, or a hard disk issue (even though I checked that, reason I say this is because I had a hard drive failure before), or it could be overheating, even though the room is kept nice and chilly.

I will talk to my boss about getting something more professional as you suggest it maybe a worthwhile option.

a Alt-Ctrl F2 is not allowed even after waiting sometime…

sherifkadry wrote:
> Palladium, thanks for the response. A year ago when we were purchasing
> the machine, my department’s (I work at a university) IT guy set it up
> and purchased it from a local retailer without an OS. He opted for
> Opensuse 11 at the time. I was surprised, but then again the department
> is cheap; I thought they’d have a licensed copy of Redhat or Suse
> enterprise you mention. So I lived with that; I was a debian person
> myself so I opted for GNOME so I dont think it was due to KDE.
> Opensuse 11.1 is update as far as I know with the latest kernel.
>
> My apologies for the lacklustre description; in occasions the screen
> freezes and I still see the X windows environment, mouse does not move,
> no response to Alt-Ctrl Backspace, no response to any key pressed. On
> other occasions the screen just goes dark, there is no output to the
> monitor.
>
> This usually happens when I run with all 8 cores, I suspect its either
> a memory issue, or a hard disk issue (even though I checked that, reason
> I say this is because I had a hard drive failure before), or it could be
> overheating, even though the room is kept nice and chilly.
>
> I will talk to my boss about getting something more professional as you
> suggest it maybe a worthwhile option.
>
> a Alt-Ctrl F2 is not allowed even after waiting sometime…
>
>
sounds strange…with your latest post i kinda (with you) lean toward
a hardware problem of some sort…

i think i’d begin with a multihour memtest from boot media (most any
live CD or install DVD of any linux distro will have memtest on disk)…

and, of course you also will want to do the routine things (power off
clean out the cat hair and spider webs; gently wiggle connection
between drives/power source/motherboard/etc/etc;…maybe pull and
re-seat the memory–while each stick is out give the exposed metal
‘teeth’ a light cleaning with a pencil eraser and do NOT touch the
metal part again while snuggly reseating; hmmmmm, google can find you
a million things to try…

and, if you have not yet you should probably turn on S.M.A.R.T.
monitoring, to watch those hard drives…

oh, and search these fora (http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php) on
terms like:

screen lock black freeze password

because in there somewhere you will find that there is more than one
place to set screen/session locking…and, you may just need to turn
off password screen locking…*

finally: the “Alt-Ctrl Backspace” was changed with 11.1 (see release
notes) now it must be pushed twice in rapid succession (don’t ask me
why, they didn’t ask me if it was okay, or not)…i think it only beeps
with the first press…


palladium
Have a lot of fun…
*

Hi, hope this thread is still of use to someone.
My new install of openSUSE 11.1 (on top of a messed up 11.1) freezes during the large initial update of recommended patches. The latest halt came when “Retrieving OpenOffice_org-libs-core…”; I don’t recall the previous freeze point.
“Freeze” here means no mouse or keyboard response; caps lock and scroll lock are flashing; CTL-ALT-F2 does nothing for 20 minutes; ALT-Tab does nothing; no visible activity on HD. It seems time for “Reset”! (done)

After reboot (bios memory test passed for 1 GB), GRUB spent some time recovering journal and clearing orphaned inodes. Didn’t try Ctl-Alt-BS yet. The kernel is 2.6.27.7-9, KDE 4.1.3 “release 3.11.1”. Updater says there are 18 patches, all of which I accepted, kicking off rpm, applydeltarpm, etc.

Then KDE crashed, Signal 6 (SIGABRT). I doubt anybody cares to receive a bug report on a version this old.

Reboot. SysInfo now shows kernel 2.6.27.45-0-1 so there’s been an update. As a test, removed OpenOffice 3.0; worked OK. Online Update in Yast2 shows no needed patches and a lot of unneeded ones (some of which are installed). Ctl-Alt-BS went to a new log-in. So now I look for KDE 4.2 (can’t go to 4.3 as this server is intended for Drupal6).

Lesson learned: for installs, register for updates in Yast Online Update Configuration, configure network devices/network settings, patch, repeat until satisfied :slight_smile:

sounds a lot like a hardware problem to me…

if i were you i’d boot off that install disk and run memtest for at
least 12 hours…

then, i’d fsck the disk(s)…

then, i’d contemplate a new powersupply [if yours is over about (say)
three years old and was installed by (say) DELL or any other consumer
box maker–because they always install just enough power and longevity
to get to the end of the warranty period, and then it might get
flaky…anyway, you maybe added drives/ram/graphic card/etc and now
need more power than the PS is supposed to deliver]


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio