openSUSE 11.1 completed install, root login but unknown admin password

I have install from disk of openSUSE 11.1 and everything good. When I try get into the root, I enter root but do not know what is the admin password? I need the password so I can install the update package. Please help. Thank. p.s. I try root but don’t accept it.:frowning:

Is that 11.1 as you wrote, or did you mean 12.1?

The standard install asks for a user account. The default is to make the root password the same as the password for that user account. I assume that was the case with 11.1 also, but I’m not certain of that.

Try the password used for the user account you setup. See if that works for root. If not, you may have to get into a rescue mode.

On 12/4/2011 5:06 PM, hornerm1 wrote:
>
> I have install from disk of openSUSE 11.1 and everything good. When I
> try get into the root, I enter root but do not know what is the admin
> password? I need the password so I can install the update package.
> Please help. Thank. p.s. I try root but don’t accept it.:frowning:
>
>
hornwem1;

openSUSE 11.1 is long out of support. I would suggest you try the current version 12.1. Given all
that; in recent releases of openSUSE the root password defaulted to the password of the first user
you create in the install. I don’t recall if that applied to 11.1. Older versions asked for root’s
password during the install.

P.V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you” Red Green

nrickert

Thank, I got it to login as root. It is my user and my password. I am going to upgrade to newer vision soon. Thank again.