OpenSuSE 11.1 and macbook

hi
i am planning to install opensuse 11.1 on a normal macbook (intel-based) for a friend, when the distro is released.
i just wanted to ask a few questions before messing with his comp.

1. has anyone installed opensuse 11/11.1 on a macbook? what were their experience like? i mean, with the hardware and all.
  2. does it recognise all the macbook hardware? does it work out of the box, or will i have to do some tweaking?

3)is there other distro (stability is the main concern here, all the newer apps can be added later…as long as stability is not sacrificed) that you would recommend for a mac?

4)just general thoughts on this.

thanks in advance.

please also keep in mind that this friend of mine doesn’t use the comp for anything more than office, webbrowsing, Skype (very important…skype should work!), movies, music, and photos.

which means, the distro you recommend, has to be newbie friendly.

I’m using openSUSE 11.1 beta 5 on a MacBook right now (Intel C2D OS 10.5.5). I’m running it as a guest in VirtualBox. It runs a little slow in virtualization but everything works, including wireless and sound. I haven’t tested the microphone with skype.

As far as installling it with boot camp or wiping off OS X and replacing it with openSUSE, I don’t have any experience with that.

thanks. i was planning to install it on a macbook with the following specifications:

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

just wanted to see if sound and wireless are detected out-of-the-box.

no matter with the skype, if you can listen to music or watch a video, then the sound on skype should be fine also, right?

i have one more question, can one repartition hard discs on a mac using gparted, if bootcamp is not available. i would like to dual boot the above mac with opensuse 11.1.
how do i repartition the drives?
any suggestion is highly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Apparently you can resize if you turn off journaling first. Personally, I’d be a bit wary, but maybe that’s just me shrugs