OpenSuse 11.0 64 bit?

Hello,i want to ask you,if you recommand me to install OpenSuse 11.0 / 64 bit. I have now with 32 bit. What’s the difference,actually,between 32/64 bit?It runs faster on 64 bit? I have the following hardware: Motherboard Asus P5K-SE,CPU Intel Core2Duo E6750 , 3 gb ram(i buy one more,if it’s better for OpenSuse/64 bit),Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS-Asus 512 MB,LG DVD-RW -Sata,2 x WD 3200AAKS. Please give me some advices about OS Linux Opensuse 32/64 bit. Thanks in advance,any suggestions are welcome.

hello,

you might want to read this:
64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your cpu is 64 bit compatible so i believe there is no reason not to run opensuse 11 x64, however if you do not run really heavy apps that do a lot of number crunching (video editing) you will notice little difference. x64 can be a little faster but also uses some more memory by default. I always run x64 distros just because i can and there is little reason not to. There are some apps not available in x64 and browser plugins are/were somewhat of a problem, but you can solve this by using nspluginwrapper or just install the 32 bit browser of your choice.

in short, either is fine, x64 can be faster for you depending on your usage but also has some compatibility issues that are easily solved but not as plug 'n play as 32 bit installs.

stefan

Thanks for the quick reply,Stefan. I actually do not use the OS for heavy apps,so i don’t think i change it to x64.I just use it for internet browsing,music,some movies,instant messenger,an so on.Anyway,thanks again,now i have to focus (i do that everyday,i searched everywhere on the google-forums)on my fonts. I wish i could have the fonts in Mozilla Firefox,a little bit more blur.They are now pretty sharp. I installed Freetype 2,i fixed everything right(sub pixel-anti aliasing-byte code interpreter) but for Mozilla there is no effect. The only one menu where i can see the difference,it’s Yast.Is there a possibility to"trick" the fonts (verdana-tahoma-arial)in Mozilla Firefox,so,when i open the web browser,there should be those fonts,whitout to modify in menu “preferences”?I think,i searched more than 100 web pages,to find out howto,but still no results.Fonts are still sharp in Mozilla.If you know something,how to make it better,please help me. Thanks a lot.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:36:03 GMT
jinxxyme <jinxxyme@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Thanks for the quick reply,Stefan. I actually do not use the OS for
> heavy apps,so i don’t think i change it to x64.I just use it for
> internet browsing,music,some movies,instant messenger,an so
> on.Anyway,thanks again,now i have to focus (i do that everyday,i
> searched everywhere on the google-forums)on my fonts. I wish i could
> have the fonts in Mozilla Firefox,a little bit more blur.They are now
> pretty sharp. I installed Freetype 2,i fixed everything right(sub
> pixel-anti aliasing-byte code interpreter) but for Mozilla there is no
> effect. The only one menu where i can see the difference,it’s Yast.Is
> there a possibility to"trick" the fonts (verdana-tahoma-arial)in
> Mozilla Firefox,so,when i open the web browser,there should be those
> fonts,whitout to modify in menu “preferences”?I think,i searched more
> than 100 web pages,to find out howto,but still no results.Fonts are
> still sharp in Mozilla.If you know something,how to make it
> better,please help me. Thanks a lot.
>
Hi
Not sure if this article may help;

http://en.opensuse.org/Optimal_Use_of_Fonts_on_SuSE

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.25-default
up 4:15, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.50, 0.46
GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

I use 64bits for a few years now. No real difference. I read that 64bits will only show improvement icw 4+GB RAM.

Oh well I have 4GB now and will maybe try 8Gb as it is so cheap these days ~50,= Euro’s for a 2GB strip.