Opensuse 10.3 - Error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0

hi,

I have installed opensuse 10.3 a few days back. I’m neither an expert nor very new to Linux. I’m facing problem with installing rpm packages. Error message: “error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”. By Googling, I found that it can be solved by installing xz-utils from the following source https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=596149. In doing so, I’m getting another error, which reads “bash: make: command not found”. This is troubling me a lot. Kindly help me solve this issue.
Earlier, I was getting similar error for libselinux.so.1. I got it fixed by copying a copy of it from internet to /lib. I’m not sure, whether or not that’s the correct procedure.

zypper is not nstalled. Commands like rpm, rpm2cpio, yast not working. yast gives the following error message:
"Error loading language plugin /usr/lib/YaST2/plugin/libpy2lang_perl.so: librpm-4.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
No such client module menu

Run ‘yast2 -h’ for help on usage"

All this started when I tried to install newer version of rpm package, “rpm-4.8.0-7.11.i586.rpm”. It didn’t succeed, but failed yast as well.

Kindly help asap.

-stran

Enjoying “riding dead horses”?
The version 10.3 unfortunately is not supported any more. That is, if you have any possibility, I would recommend to install the version 11.1 instead. It is now 5 month before end of life and very stable.
I do not know the reasons which for you wanted to install such an outdated version. If this was because of the discussion of KDE3 vs KDE4 then you shall know that 11.1 runs fine with 3.5 (with only minor issues, you can use the desktop without bigger problems).
Using the 10.3 will result also in an outdated kernel, a security risk. Either you have the technical knowledge to compile a recent kernel on the old system, but still all this depends why you try to install a dinosaur (forgive me “DenverD”).

If you wish to have a try to repair the 10.3 you did install you might do the following. You open the terminal (konsole) and then type:

su -
#init 3

This should bring you to the command line of runlevel 3. There you login as root (it will ask you for the password then and as root (command line of course) you type:

#yast2

Yast should open in the command line version. You can move the menu with alt-tab and go and select sources of installation in the upper menu and chose cd/dvd as the repository.
You then go to the upper menu (above the one you are in, to do this you have to run a “full circle” with alt-tab to come up there again)finally:
Here you go into"packages": you choose: update all unconditionally.

At the end you should be able to restart the system (once it finished) and be able to use Yast again. It may well be easier to go to he download page to download “11.1” instead.
If you want to do all this because of certain “restricted format registration issues” to call it this way, you can have the same “freedom” when using the newer system and install your software compiling from sourcecode (AFAIK).

Ps. Never use rpm of other distributions, this will destroy your system. If you compile with make and make install then this should be ok, provided you care to have all the prerequisites installed beforehand.
Good luck.

PS:

Earlier, I was getting similar error for libselinux.so.1. I got it fixed by copying a copy of it from internet to /lib. I’m not sure, whether or not that’s the correct procedure.
No, this was NOT the correct procedure, you are therefore quite new to Linux. I would recommend not to “saddle the horse from behind” but to use a supported version with existing repositories.