OpenSUSE 10.3 > 11.0

I updated from 10.3 with from the dvd. I don’t like to make a clean install. If possible I stick to upgrade. When it brakes, then I make a clean install.
And because I use a separate /home, its very unlikely that I lose my stuff (except if I upgrade/install drunk :wink: )

I did an upgrade from 10.3 -> 11 beta3 -> 11 rc1 without any problems. If I couldn’t do upgrades I’d switch ditro’s not because doing a clean install is so difficult but because a modern os should be upgradable - heck there are distro’s that supposedly do inplace upgrades. How can anyone expect an os to succeed popularity wise if every 6 months you had to do a clean install (it would just scare newbies away). To me a clean install is a remanent of the past like the command line - it’s shouldn’t be required.

This question concerns the route from 11.0 RC1 to
the final version of 11.0:

Up to now, I’ve been doing a total re-install
on every incremental release and am now using
11.0 - RC1. I only install from DVD, since I
want both KDE and Gnome options, plus I put on
a lot of development tools, kernel source, etc.

This morning, a new kernel (2.6.25.5-1.1) was
just installed by the updater, and the updater
reported that my system was up-to-date, but after
reading a post in this forum, I ran (as root)

zypper ref

zypper dup

And lo and behold, some 1.5 GB of new and updated material
was installed. So the questions are:

1. With these updates done by Zypper, am I now running
    RC2 … or am I seeing a peek of 11.0?

2. If I run the same two commands on June 19, will I get
    a full blown clean version of 11.0, or should I do another
    total install - like I typically do?

Thanks,

trotter1985

If you look at the OpenSUSE Roadmap, You upgraded to Goldmaster. That is the release that goes to the CD manufacturer and gets pressed into final. So yes, for all intents and purposes you are at final.

I disagree with you here. Suse has a cycle of 1 year. I would hope the advances in 1 year would be many, to the point that a simple upgrade by package switching would be unwise. A bit like saying you want to upgrade windows distros by upgrading the packages – impossible because they’re so different. same with Suse except that the one year cycle makes it feasible for the unwary and the daring to succeed some of the time.

2 cent opinion, you stick with yours if you like :slight_smile:

swerdna wrote:

>
> google01103;1816271 Wrote:
>> I did an upgrade from 10.3 → 11 beta3 → 11 rc1 without any problems.
>> If I couldn’t do upgrades I’d switch ditro’s not because doing a clean
>> install is so difficult but because a modern os should be upgradable -
>> heck there are distro’s that supposedly do inplace upgrades. How can
>> anyone expect an os to succeed popularity wise if every 6 months you
>> had to do a clean install (it would just scare newbies away). To me a
>> clean install is a remanent of the past like the command line - it’s
>> shouldn’t be required.
> I disagree with you here. Suse has a cycle of 1 year. I would hope the
> advances in 1 year would be many, to the point that a simple upgrade by
> package switching would be unwise. A bit like saying you want to upgrade
> windows distros by upgrading the packages – impossible because they’re
> so different. same with Suse except that the one year cycle makes it
> feasible for the unwary and the daring to succeed some of the time.
>
> 2 cent opinion, you stick with yours if you like :slight_smile:
>
>
actually iirc the goal is a 6 month cycle, also I never discussed “a simple
upgrade by package switching” what I discussed was using the dvd’s upgrade
option (which is what I used) and that some distro’s have (again iirc) an
place upgrades. note zipper has a dup option which is defined as “Perform a
distribution upgrade”.

And of course it’s your, mine and others choice as to what we do.

Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Gnome 2.20, Opera 9.x weekly

Mind boggling why there is an upgrade option on the install disk if everyone recommends a clean install!

Is there any real intent behind having an upgrade option? Or will inability to upgrade versions of openSUSE be a permanent weakness?

The upgrade option should either work, or be removed, or the circumstances defined under which upgrades will work.

My $0.02 worth.

Many people do use the upgrade option. However, the best case scenario is a fresh install. An upgrade has more variables, and there is a greater likelihood of a problem.

Microsoft recommends fresh installs as opposed to upgrades as well.

Such is the nature of software.

Did an upgrade from 10.3 to 11.0 rc1 with a 386 dvd, that has been found tested okay for md5sum.
At 22% of the package that should be upgraded Yast2 stop with the error: “Installation of some Package Failed”.
Did a “new installation” afterwards on formatted disks (/ 20G and /home 90G) with the same result.

Now I have to go back to my 10.3 dvd a make a reinstalled again, and that is okay.

I have used the same 11.0 rc1 dvd on another desktop where everything went okay, so now I have to wait for the public 11.0 release :smiley:

Jan

I would go for the clean install while preserving the home partition as well.

I’ve done upgrade a few times, but as I tend to modify each install a lot that only led to issues. Who knows, if you haven’t changed the default 10.3 install, it may not be too big of a deal, but I wouldn’t bother risking it.

I have tried to install OpenSuse 11 rc1 from a live cd and find that I am having a problem that I wonder if anyone else has encountered. I get the image copied from the cd onto my hard drive and reboot the computer without the cd and this is when the problem occurs. I get the black screen and then it informs me that it cannot display in this mode. It then goes to console and tells me to not panic cause it is finding my videocard but it never leaves the cannot display this mode screen. I have an ati radeon x300 video card. I wait for about 5 to 10 minutes and nothing ever changes. Should I wait longer than I have waited or should I wait for the final release to instal Open SUSE on my computer?

There is also this link, but I have not (yet) tried it. Upgrading openSUSE 10.3 –> 11.0 in a running system., 24/06/08, Benjamin’s blog