I have an issue with OpenOffice on a series of documents I am authoring.
The documents each have multiple graphics of screen shots taken in PNG format. I import them via the Insert → Picture → From File… option and then do “No Wrap” and set a Caption via the Context Menu.
This was working fine until a few days ago. Now when I now open the documents, not just one, some (but not all) of the graphics do not show the caption. Seems to be hidden or something. When I right click to bring up the context menu OpenOffice Writer will close and the Recovery Notification Dialog appears and disappears immediately.
When I start OpenOffice I get the Recovery dialog and the document will recover OK. However there will be other graphics (usually not the same ones) that have the same issue.
I am using OpenSUSE 11.0 x86 64 bit. I was using the OpenOffice from the original media ie. 2.4 I have just today upgraded via the OpenOffice repository to 3.0 to see if it fixed it, but has the same issue.
Have the ability to open the document on OpenOffice 3 on Windows XP and that does NOT seem to have the problem.
I am not aware of any update to the system that occurred in time with this issue appearing.
I thought that as I am accessing the documents over a NFS share that this might be an issue so have copied them to local disk. Still not working.
Pye, James Pye. chmod 007, The Ultimate Open Source.
Off the top of my head, there are two locations to check: your default template and ooo config files. By temporarily moving each one out of the way, you may be able to narrow down the problem. It may be as simple as reinstating the backup version (if there is one) of your ooo template.
didencool: Created another user and logged and ran up oowriter opened the same document and same problem. I also took some screen shots of the issue if interested.
I use KDE almost exclusively and only have enough of gnome installed to run apps like evolution etc. that require it. As this is my “production” machine I do not want to mess it around too much with multiple desktop environments etc.
JosipBroz: I saw the .ooo3 dir being created on first startup of oowriter as the new user above, but am not totally sure where the templates you mention are. I am using some custom styles which I created via the F11 selector and the document is created from a template I created by saving a document as a template. This has a watermark, header, footer, some text etc.
As I said this was working OK until a few days ago (the project has been going for a month or so) and it seems to now be across multiple documents. I am guessing there is a corruption that is being introduced to the documents that, once in there, OOo is not able to clean out, even on a Save as… to make a new version.
I am not sure if this is a work around for this issue.
I notice that when I create the graphic via the Insert → Picture → From File… option, and then add a caption, that both the picture and the caption frame are anchored to the paragraph by default.
I am wondering if what I am seeing is happening after I make mods to the text and these anchor points “get out of sync”
What I am trying as a work around is once I place the caption I change the anchor of the graphic to be the frame. So now the picture is anchored to the caption frame and the caption frame is anchored to the paragraph.
Will see how we go as the original problem is intermittent and not consistent.