Opene Suse V??.? - Crash on startup after pressing the GRUB menu option

This morning I wanted to startup my Open Suse OS on my dual OS machine (which is installed next to Windows 7,Professional, 64 bit) when I got surprised by this crash? screen?
https://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn168/indigowarrior9/open_suse/opensuse_kernel_panic_screen_DSCN7846_zpsm5nonzzr.jpg
My pc froze up completely after this screen and the only way I could bring it back to life was hitting the [ON| OFF] switch, to create a power-down, power-up event.
Before this screen appeared (when booting Open Suse) , I did not have changed anything (myself) to the Open Suse installation partitions (and or Grub boot-options)

QUESTIONS:
**1 - What is shown on the screen here? **

• Is this some sort of a Open Suse “Blue Screen Of Death”?

2 - Where can I learn more on how to decipher these cryptic messages?

3 - What can be the possible cause of the phenomena?

• For example: Can it be caused by a harddisk-corruption on my Window 7 partition

**4 - What is the best thing to do from here to get Open Suse booting again? **

• Reinstall Open Suse again? (since - before it happend - I do remember that my current Open Suse was not longer supported :-} )

Thanks for all your hints, tip and tricks that can help my solve this Open Suse boot_challenge.

Can’t read the upper lines of your picture.

But when you do not even know which version of openSUSE this is, how can we know?

When you have multi-boot, isn’t there a menu to choose Windows or openSUSE and doesn’t that menu tell you what it is?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:26:02 +0000, hcvv wrote:

> Can’t read the upper lines of your picture.
>
> But when you do not even know which version of openSUSE this is, how can
> we know?
>
> When you have multi-boot, isn’t there a menu to choose Windows or
> openSUSE and doesn’t that menu tell you what it is?

Based on the kernel, it’s 13.1.

For the OP - I would be inclined to reinstall.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

@All:
Forgive me for not being totally complete with my crash-information. My PC has multiboot -> (Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits, Dutch / Open Suse 13.1 English)
**So my current Open Suse version is 13.1 **(which I already figured out is not being supported anymore).

For the OP - I would be inclined to reinstall.

Thanks Jim for the advise, but before I start doing this, I first would like to find out:

• what it is that I’m now see on my screen… to fully understand what is happening when booting to Open Suse
  • what event caused it to happen om my computer… so I can take preventive action against it
  • what the current health is of my Linux partition,
    otherwise I could be re-installing on a failing, rotten harddisk, that needs to be repaired first, and see it again

To find out the health of the partition/drive you will have to boot a Linux rescue CD/DVD/USB and run fsck against the root partition and maybe smartctrl to check the file system and drive respectively.

Many things can cause drives to fail. Power glitch, shutting down improperly, drive just old and ready to fail. among many others.

1., 2.
The first line in your image says it all, it’s a “kernel panic” which yes… is equivalent of the MSWindows “Blue Screen of Death.” It means that your system tried to do something so forbidden that the system just failed to protect itself.
Ordinarily, you don’t try to “fix” the kernel panic itself, but <maybe> there are clues leading up to and before you finally arrive at a kernel panic, but most people won’t try to do that… Instead, it’s time to “repair” and if necessary “rebuild and restore.”

It’s not likely caused by anything in your Windows partition, that’s what partitions generally are meant to protect by isolating what is read. But, however unlikely something <might> point to a wrong partition and not find what was expected.

Solutions:
Better…
Download a 42.2 DVD image and from that disk,
Backup your /home contents and if you stored anything in /
Delete the swap and / partitions, leaving your /home partition intact.
Then re-install, using the “Advanced” partition layout option to Edit the proposed layout to point /home to your existing /home partion.
Be sure to install the same Desktop you had running in 13.1.
The result should be a brand new 42.2 with all your personal files and configurations from 13.1 (well, as much as possible). You may need to re-install some apps.

Not so good…
Use a 13.1 DVD to fix your install, but you will then need to find a way to update your system to the last available (sorrey, I haven’t looked into whether a repo for last 13.1 updates is available).

IMO,
TSU

Thanks Gogalthrop for the tips.

**Question-1: Do you mean this version of the “smartctrl” software? since this is a new one for me (see links below):
**https://www.smartmontools.org/
smartctl - Unix, Linux Command
SMART tests with smartctl - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki-en
>>
http://www.linuxtechi.com/smartctl-monitoring-analysis-tool-hard-drive/
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/using-smartctl-to-get-smart-status-information-on-your-hard-drives/

Question-2: Do you know any Linux Live bootable / Rescue CD’s DVD that have this “smartctrl” software already installed on it?

Roger that Sir.

If I wanted to so… Where can I find the clues that you are referring too? Does Linux have any create / maintain any type of “kernel panic”-related logfiles I can examine for possible signs?

Oke… Could - for example - a corruption of my 1st Main Boot Record (MBR) in Harddisk_0 be causing this?

This feels like an excellent step-by-step recovery method TSU which I will follow now. Thank you very much for this.

I’m not going to follow this steps, since I’ve learned already that OpenSuse 13.1 is not supoorted anymore.
Instead I’m going to make the leap to OpenSuse Leap v42.2 and take it from there.

Thank you very much for your advice and the “kernel panic” explanation from my photo. It all makes sense now.

Thanks Gentle(wo?)man for all the support, hints, tips and tricks so far. I will report back here when I have successfully installed the new OpenSuse “Leap” V42.x on my system, to let you all know how it went.

Most any should have smartctl it is pretty much a standard tool. Not sure a 13.1 rescue is available but there is 42.2 and Tumbleweed rescue disk but really to test hardware version should not matter too much

Thank you so much for discussion. You can also participate in the discussion of the topic of Patient Medication Education.