Open SuSE 11.4 on HP DV6

I have installed OpenSuSE 11.4 on an HP DV6 laptop computer without problem. However when I boot the machine I get diagnostic messages immediately. First has anyone installed 11.4 on one of these HO machines? What diagnostic messages do you want to see to solve the problem? If I had to guess what the problem is, I would say it has to do with the radeon video card since some of the message speak of it.

Exactly which radeon hd graphics does this HP DV6 have ?

I do know that radeon graphics on openSUSE-11.4 have a problem booting to the liveCD, but after an installation from the DVD they should not have a problem. Did you install from the CD or from the DVD ?

How many diagnostic messages are you talking about ? Are you able to get to the X window desktop GUI when you reboot ? Or do you have a full screen text mode?

If you do not get a GUI when you reboot, what happens when the 1st grub boot splash menu appears (ie where you are given your boot choice selection) you type ‘nomodeset’ (no quotes) such that ‘nomodeset’ appears in the option line. Does the PC then boot to the radeonhd driver?

If not, what happens when the 1st grub boot splash menu appears (ie where you are given your boot choice selection) you choose the ‘FailSafe’ boot option? That will likely boot to either the radeonhd or the vesa or the fbdev driver. Does that work (as an interim) ?

After you downloaded the installation CD/DVD, did you do an md5sum check on the downloaded .iso file and compare that to the md5sum on the openSUSE web site? If so, were they the same ?

When burning the CD/DVD did you burn to a +R or -R media (not to an RW) at the slowest speed your burner allows on to the highest quality/most-compatible media (with your burner) that you can get, and not to some bargain basement special CD/DVD ?

Apologies for all the questions, but I’m trying to eliminate potential causes.

hi ,
I am facing the same issue, If i try to login afer installation i am getting the message, i am now using failsafe,

Its possible if you edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to read:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"

Driver "radeon"

## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

EndSection

(ie remove the # comment symbol before ‘Driver’) and then boot with the boot code ‘nomodeset’ you will obtain use of the Radeon graphic driver, which should have superior performance to the fbdev driver that you obtain when you use the failsafe mode.